What are this type of corals that are growing on my live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard of people boiling or baking the rock. But be careful because paly toxins can be put out through the fumes or steam!

I'll be upgrading tanks though not now but will in the future :) im nervous using lemon juice or any other type of chemical to kill them. guess ill try either the peppermint shrimp :)

There's nothing wrong with Aipstasia-X or lemon juice..... tried & true methods used by many reefers. If it was a problem, we'd know about it.... just don't try to kill every one all at once.
As mentioned, do NOT try to manually remove them. They are nicknamed glass anemones for a reason... when you break the stem from removal, it busts up into many little shards, each of which will land somewhere & grow into a whole new anemone.
Peppermint shrimp are very hit or miss, and even the ones that will eat aipstasia will usually only go after smaller ones.... once the anemones get to a certain size, even the shrimp won't go near them.
Yes, you can remove the rock & let it dry for for a few weeks, but then you've lost everything else on there as well..... benefical bacteria & possible good critters.
One of my preferred methods is a micro-torch to fry them, but with that many, I think I'd refrain from as little physical disturbance as possible and move on to chemical warfare.

The only time you need to worry about palytoxins is if the rock actually has palythoa or zoanthid corals......

Yea I was just saying something about paly toxins because of one article I read. The guy was boiling a piece of LR to remove apitasia and breathed some of the fumes. There was something unknown to the guy on the rock along with the apitasia and it was what released the paly toxins that sent him to the hospital in very bad shape.

Yea I was just saying something about paly toxins because of one article I read. The guy was boiling a piece of LR to remove apitasia and breathed some of the fumes. There was something unknown to the guy on the rock along with the apitasia and it was what released the paly toxins that sent him to the hospital in very bad shape.

Yeah, that article has been around for a while..... it seems to get rediscovered about every 3 or 4 months. I don't want to be crass enough to say he got what he deserved, but that dude was an idiot for boiling something with possible unknown substances within the confines of an enclosed space, especially his home. That's why, in my previous post, I mention a possibility is to pull the rock & let it dry.... naturally.

Yea I've never considered boiling and LR and that guy wasn't thinking.

My 2 peppermint shrimp didn't eat mine either even though there's just 2 aptasia in my tank. Guess I should really do something about those before they multiply.

Here's a pic of the majano I had. That's what they looked like to me but I'm not 100% sure what yours are.

Attachments

• image-1058751701.jpg
    image-1058751701.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 84
Phranque said:
Nope, I've never had them, but I believe those are majanos.... I'm sure someone will confirm/deny. If they are, you want to get rid of it right now.... as far as an invasive species, they are much worse than aipstasia.

Uh oh great. Good news is I guess there just on a couple pieces of decorative rock now. Weird thing is they moved up closer to the light themselves, they used to be lower to the bottom

MyR6Rocks said:
Uh oh great. Good news is I guess there just on a couple pieces of decorative rock now. Weird thing is they moved up closer to the light themselves, they used to be lower to the bottom

Aiptasia-x works to kill them too

Well I'm just thinking if they have to go ill pull the rocks out of the tank. It's just 2 very small pieces. But then what just let it dry and put the rocks back in?

Btw I'm not trying to hijack your tread

Phranque said:
There's nothing wrong with Aipstasia-X or lemon juice..... tried & true methods used by many reefers. If it was a problem, we'd know about it.... just don't try to kill every one all at once.
As mentioned, do NOT try to manually remove them. They are nicknamed glass anemones for a reason... when you break the stem from removal, it busts up into many little shards, each of which will land somewhere & grow into a whole new anemone.
Peppermint shrimp are very hit or miss, and even the ones that will eat aipstasia will usually only go after smaller ones.... once the anemones get to a certain size, even the shrimp won't go near them.
Yes, you can remove the rock & let it dry for for a few weeks, but then you've lost everything else on there as well..... benefical bacteria & possible good critters.
One of my preferred methods is a micro-torch to fry them, but with that many, I think I'd refrain from as little physical disturbance as possible and move on to chemical warfare.

The only time you need to worry about palytoxins is if the rock actually has palythoa or zoanthid corals......

Guess ill have to try aipstasia X since they are starting to grow larger and am afraid the peppermint shrimp might not go near it. There's Soo many now. And I'd hate to let it dry since I see so many little critters already on it at night so much beneficial bacteria. How many is recommended to remove a day? Would you say? With Aipstasia X? Thanks again.

Attachments

• image-2770193672.jpg
    image-2770193672.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1360582869.jpg
    image-1360582869.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 66
Tell me how that stuff does.

I added 3 peppermint shrimp to kill the aptasia in my bio cube an it cleared it all out, even the larger ones.

Zactheninja said:
Tell me how that stuff does.

I added 3 peppermint shrimp to kill the aptasia in my bio cube an it cleared it all out, even the larger ones.

Will do I'd rather have the peppermint shrimp do it but my tank is only 3 weeks cycled. I hope this stuff doesn't change the Ph level. It says to only eliminate 10 per day. Hope everything works out fine. Ill keep you posted.

Mark The Kidd said:
Will do I'd rather have the peppermint shrimp do it but my tank is only 3 weeks cycled. I hope this stuff doesn't change the Ph level. It says to only eliminate 10 per day. Hope everything works out fine. Ill keep you posted.

Shouldn't change any of ur levels....

Back
Top Bottom