what are your cichlids' favorite veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking to supplement my wet pets diet with some good old earth food. What are your favorites?

If you are lucky enough to get all your fish eating high quality pellets like New Life Spectrum, I would do that almost exclusively and wouldn't bother with actual vegtables.

NLS makes flakes and Wafers for Omnivore/Herbivore diets.

I boil a pound of peas for my Koi. Then take a handfull pop the shell off and feed to my Harps & Peacocks. They love them but may not need them.

Boiled garden peas - go mad for them, and courgette seems to be a hit with the smaller ones.

I do enjoy watching them eat fresh veggies so I will probably always do that but I will look for the NLS! Peas and cucumbers are all my guys have tried so far, just seeing what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

Mine go mad for baby spinach! I just bunch a few leaves together and secure them together with a plant weight at the bottom. Just drop into tank, instant spinach tree :)

Darklight said:
Mine go mad for baby spinach! I just bunch a few leaves together and secure them together with a plant weight at the bottom. Just drop into tank, instant spinach tree :)

Oooh, baby spinach is good for everyone. Will do ;)

Okay, so I'm a reptile nut at heart, so take this as you will. Spinach is known to have properties to it that bind with calcium and make it unabsorbable, so it's not recommend for several omnivorous and herbivorous reptiles, like bearded dragons and most tortoises. Not sure if it's the same for fish, but just throwing that out there

Freakgecko91 said:
Okay, so I'm a reptile nut at heart, so take this as you will. Spinach is known to have properties to it that bind with calcium and make it unabsorbable, so it's not recommend for several omnivorous and herbivorous reptiles, like bearded dragons and most tortoises. Not sure if it's the same for fish, but just throwing that out there

I do remember that from having beardies, good point.

Lettuce, squash, peas, broccoli and cauliflower.

Word of caution : I've found it is easy to feed too much with veggies. Careful with the excess.

Back
Top Bottom