What "bigger" fish can I add to my 45gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have a 45 gallon tank filtered by a Penguin 350.
Inhabitants include:

6 Zebra Danios
3 Otos
2 Blue Rams
1 L052 pleco
1 baby clown pleco
3 dwarf cories (<1")
1 regular cory

I am looking for a a larger size fish or two to fill out the tank a little.
If I was looking for a larger (several inches) fish or two, what would be my options?
Are all cichlids out of the question?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

P.S. Could Bolivians and Blue Rams live together in harmony?

One of my favourite large-er fish is the denisoni barb. They are great community fish, very colourful and with a great personality. They say that they're happy in groups of 3 or more. I kept one for several months but then it caught dropsy and died.

I'm thinking of getting a few after the summer for my 75g.

And how about Angels?

Big C said:
One of my favourite large-er fish is the denisoni barb. They are great community fish, very colourful and with a great personality. They say that they're happy in groups of 3 or more. I kept one for several months but then it caught dropsy and died.

And how about Angels?

Thanks Big C, I looked up those barbs, and they do look pretty. Never seen them at a LFS though. I'll have to keep an eye out.

I've thought about angels, but for some reason I'm not crazy about them. They seem kind of boring.

They seem kind of boring.
:biglol: Keep that in mind when you stock your tank, as these fish could be with you for years. Many members like the larger rainbow fish as peaceful tank occupants. I'm not a fan of the larger rainbows, but I love the little Celebes and threadfin rainbows.
I'm confused--you already have rams; what other cichlids did you have in mind?
Could Bolivians and Blue Rams live together in harmony?
They should be able to, but you will need to look out for aggression if they breed. Aside from rams, look into Apistos to add a some size and color to the tank.

Menagerie said:
They seem kind of boring.
:biglol: Keep that in mind when you stock your tank, as these fish could be with you for years. Many members like the larger rainbow fish as peaceful tank occupants. I'm not a fan of the larger rainbows, but I love the little Celebes and threadfin rainbows.
I'm confused--you already have rams; what other cichlids did you have in mind?
Could Bolivians and Blue Rams live together in harmony?
They should be able to, but you will need to look out for aggression if they breed. Aside from rams, look into Apistos to add a some size and color to the tank.

Thanks Menagerie.

YES! Apistos. I researched them a bit and was very interested in them - wasn't completely sure if they'd be okay in a community tank.
Haven't been able to find them at a LFS either.

Oh, I meant cichlids other than Rams. Sorry bout that. I forget sometimes that the Rams are cichlids (they're so little and timid).

my angel isnt boring in my tank, he has the best personality of a fish ive ever seen. Comes straight to the top and will wait for food, when i walk in my room he will swim over to me, very active swimming in and out of the plants.

But your angel may vary, its like a box of chocalates, u might get a spaz like mine or you might get one that is brain dead and floats,eats and craps. Its a toss up

Thebluyak said:
my angel isnt boring in my tank, he has the best personality of a fish ive ever seen. Comes straight to the top and will wait for food, when i walk in my room he will swim over to me, very active swimming in and out of the plants.

But your angel may vary, its like a box of chocalates, u might get a spaz like mine or you might get one that is brain dead and floats,eats and craps. Its a toss up

Haha, thanks.
I've never owned an angel, but my impression of them at the store is that they just float in the middle of the tank and stare out. I could certainly be wrong. I guess I just don't find them all that pretty/cute/unique.
Would an angel fish be okay by itself, or do they like to be in mated pairs?
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Would an African butterfly fish wreak havoc on my tank? I've heard they're aggressive.

I don't think the ABF's are aggressive but they are predators. They will eat fish that go near them and is small enough to fit in their mouth.

Corey said:
Big C said:

And how about Angels?

Thanks Big C, I looked up those barbs, and they do look pretty. Never seen them at a LFS though. I'll have to keep an eye out.

I've thought about angels, but for some reason I'm not crazy about them. They seem kind of boring.

The denisoni barbs are nice, but spendy. The lfs here sells them for 34.95 each, when they can get them. But because I'm a good friend of the gal who orders them, she got them for me for 24.00 each. And yes, they are awsome.

A couple options are angels and rainbowfish. I just got 3 rainbowfish, and they are more fun than I was expecting, and they know what their food can looks like. :)

Back
Top Bottom