What can i do with a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of getting a marineland 5 gallon tank to put on my kitchen counter with sand substrate and a Betta. What other things can I put in this tank? Maybe some neons and shrimp? I think neons should stay in a bigger tank but would like a few other fish to go in. Ideas?

This is also a "test run" for sand because if I absolutely love it I'm gonna switch to sand in my 90g Malawi tank, lol. I don't just want to "jump into it"! :)

If you are set on a betta, you may just want to stick with a betta. Neons and shrimp might not work so well. A 5 is a bit on the small side for schooling fish like neons, especially if there are other fish in the tank. As far as shrimp, bettas may or may not eat them. Seems to depend on each individual betta. You could try a few to start and see how it goes... as long as they don't end up being expensive snacks, you could add a few more.

I agree with Fort. Stick with the betta. You could try some small shrimp (or a snail) and see how it reacts; if it's OK with the shrimp you can add more. That's really about it in terms of options though.

Back
Top Bottom