What can I put in this 5GAL tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the advice given in this thread I do not agree with.

That being said.... a betta, who may or may not eat rcs, would be great.

Also a school of cpd or ember tetras would be lovely.

Also keep in mind while some fish may be "small" they need plenty of swimming space.

Some crypts, java fern, Anubis, or moss will be good low light choices.

With a shallow tank you may be able to even get some moderate light plants as well

I second this post

I have the exact same tank and if you do have shrimp you'll have to do some shrimp proofing. I had a medium size shrimp fit through the top grating and it took me 30 minutes to get him out and I had 20 shrimplets get sucked into the vortex of death, this was with the pump on the lowest setting. That being said it's a great tank and here's what I did to shrimp proof it.

20121223_194347.jpg

20121223_194340.jpg
I cut aquaclear filter sponge thin and sewed it tight onto the grating with fishing line for the top, and simply cut a small piece and stuffed it into the bottom. I haven't lost a shrimp to it since and don't notice any loss of suction.

Ok, just saying, here in AK, a 5ib bag of sand at my lfs $3.77, I imagine its cheaper in the lower 48 for good fish tank sand. But if you were doing a bigger build, by all means, pool filter sand. 35$ for like 75ibs.

I have the exact same tank and if you do have shrimp you'll have to do some shrimp proofing. I had a medium size shrimp fit through the top grating and it took me 30 minutes to get him out and I had 20 shrimplets get sucked into the vortex of death, this was with the pump on the lowest setting. That being said it's a great tank and here's what I did to shrimp proof it.

I cut aquaclear filter sponge thin and sewed it tight onto the grating with fishing line for the top, and simply cut a small piece and stuffed it into the bottom. I haven't lost a shrimp to it since and don't notice any loss of suction.

That is definitely a good tip, I was a bit worried about that happening, thank you!

Ok, just saying, here in AK, a 5ib bag of sand at my lfs $3.77, I imagine its cheaper in the lower 48 for good fish tank sand. But if you were doing a bigger build, by all means, pool filter sand. 35$ for like 75ibs.

Well my first thought was sand but since I might do plants I'm thinking about getting a bag of ecocomplete plant substrate. I can only find it in 20 lb bags but figure I can put whatever is left in my 55GAL (currently has that substrate)!

Well my first thought was sand but since I might do plants I'm thinking about getting a bag of ecocomplete plant substrate. I can only find it in 20 lb bags but figure I can put whatever is left in my 55GAL (currently has that substrate)!

That works out perfect!

AngelLover said:
That is definitely a good tip, I was a bit worried about that happening, thank you!

Yeah sure!
Just make sure you sew it around the top and the bottom of the sponge so it's snug all the way around. My shrimp also like to snack off the sponge

I have a 6g, and concluded the best thing to do with it was to breed endlers. I have 2 males and 4 females, with some dwarf corys at the bottom.
The best thing otherwise would be celestial pearl danios imo, maybe 6 and again you could put a few dwarf corys in too.
You cant really put harlequins in as they are too active, same with standard danios and most tetras.

Now if you don't like the idea of live plants, and looking for a more colorful tank, I would do a "blue dwarf gourami" tank. 2 would work out, but no more. Ask your LFS for 2 females. 2 males would not workout because of the aggressiveness. Also do not do a "male" "female" tank because the male will become dominant over the female, eventually putting it into stress and dying.

I think a sand substrate looks great if possible and if its not too late. It's extremely cheap to go to your local hardware store and pickup a bag of white sand ($3-7).

Now grab you a piece of drift wood and some nice rock/petrified wood. It will look great with the fish!

Good luck, don't give up.

Keep in mind, this is all MY opinion. Be honest with me, and tell me some ideas and I can work with you. Im Trying to keeps
things budgeted for you.

Happy holidays :)

I am sorry, but NO WAY. Two dwarf gouramis? You are asking for trouble. Why not 5 Chili Rasboras, and a few cherry shrimp?

Scottyhorse said:
I am sorry, but NO WAY. Two dwarf gouramis? You are asking for trouble. Why not 5 Chili Rasboras, and a few cherry shrimp?

I wholeheartedly agree. Chillis and shrimp would be an ideal stock but 2 dwarf gouramis in a 5 is reckless. Even one.

I would also advise against keeping a betta with shrimp.

We used the Eco in the 2 Fluval Edge's 6g and it's working great for the plants. Then I just taped the bag with some of the water to keep for when I need little touch up area's in the other tanks.

Would not recommend Betta and dwarf shrimp. Maybe if you have a docile Betta, but there are better combinations. I have Chilis and blue Cherry shrimp, they are great together. Added a CPO but I can't be positive it hasn't snacked on the little ones. I haven't seen it happen. I still have lots of babies in there.

What about a Dwarf African Frog, 1-2...Horned Nerite, Chilis 3-5, Amano Shrimp, live plants, moss and sand. Just need to make sure you get the food down to the frogs. As long as you don't over feed the frogs and do pwc, and live plants, shouldn't be over stocked IMO.

If you do shrimp, stay away from bamboo shrimp. They need a well established tank to feed properly since they like feeding off of microbes floating in the water.

Again thanks everyone for the advice... feel free to keep it coming! I really am digging a lot of these ideas, I didn't realize i'd have so many options lol. I love bettas but am now thinking a small school of fish or the shrimp would be more exciting

AngelLover said:
Again thanks everyone for the advice... feel free to keep it coming! I really am digging a lot of these ideas, I didn't realize i'd have so many options lol. I love bettas but am now thinking a small school of fish or the shrimp would be more exciting

Let us know what you choose and please post a pic later! :)

Six cherry barbs: 2 males and 4 females. I've kept them in a heavily planted five gallon and they were breeding machines...

David

DavidAl said:
Six cherry barbs: 2 males and 4 females. I've kept them in a heavily planted five gallon and they were breeding machines...

David

I've known breeders who kept most of their fish in very small tanks and also had great success. I'd be scared to try it myself. I'm more of an "easy to care for" community tank guy. I'd like to see a photo of your setup but it sounds like you took it down. Did it crash or something?

I've known breeders who kept most of their fish in very small tanks and also had great success. I'd be scared to try it myself. I'm more of an "easy to care for" community tank guy. I'd like to see a photo of your setup but it sounds like you took it down. Did it crash or something?
You are correct; I no longer have this tank. This was back in 2007. I gifted the tank to a neighbor when I moved out of my old community. It was a Marineland acrylic tank. I've been entertaining the thought of creating the exact same setup again. We'll see...

To the OP, you may want to also look into the different killifish species that can be kept in small tanks. They are pretty easy to breed as well.

David

You are correct; I no longer have this tank. This was back in 2007. I gifted the tank to a neighbor when I moved out of my old community. It was a Marineland acrylic tank. I've been entertaining the thought of creating the exact same setup again. We'll see...

To the OP, you may want to also look into the different killifish species that can be kept in small tanks. They are pretty easy to breed as well.

David

Thanks I was actually wondering if killifish would work!

Back
Top Bottom