What can I put in this 5GAL tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good call, do you know how to sex them?

The males have a large,fan like tail that's very colorful.

The females have a smaller, 'normal' looking tail. If you want to keep m/f together, it's best to keep 1 male to 2-3 females.

Attachments

• image-245563882.jpg
    image-245563882.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2451773776.jpg
    image-2451773776.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 111
The males have a large,fan like tail that's very colorful.

The females have a smaller, 'normal' looking tail. If you want to keep m/f together, it's best to keep 1 male to 2-3 females.

Thank you! I will prob try to do same sex only to prevent breeding. Are males aggressive amongst each other? I have little guppy experience but always thought they were cute

If you have more males than females, then aggression can occur. If your LFS has m/f in the same tank, then the females could be prego already. And they can store sperm from the males and get prego multiple times.

If you have more males than females, then aggression can occur. If your LFS has m/f in the same tank, then the females could be prego already. And they can store sperm from the males and get prego multiple times.

Hmmm that is a good point to keep in mind! Thanks again. Still lots of deciding to do here!

Here's a shot of my 5.5 gallon tank. It's still not properly aquascaped (such a mess) but I thought I'd post it just in case it helps.

60903-albums11224-picture48799.jpg

AngelLover said:

Thank you. After posting it I realized I had better make it start to look somewhat decent so I just rescaped it a bit (added more Eco Complete, moved some plants and rocks around and added a tiny piece of wood with some Christmas moss tied to it so it'll make a "tree").

Thank you. After posting it I realized I had better make it start to look somewhat decent so I just rescaped it a bit (added more Eco Complete, moved some plants and rocks around and added a tiny piece of wood with some Christmas moss tied to it so it'll make a "tree").

That is pretty much the same set up I was envisioning! I still haven't decided on what fish to get though lol.

AngelLover said:
That is pretty much the same set up I was envisioning! I still haven't decided on what fish to get though lol.

I redid it again just now, added more stone under the gravel and much more spare wood. I'll post a pic once it clears. It'll be a while before it grows in but that's part of the charm of live plants. You don't just get to watch the fish grow or the shrimp breed... you get to see the tank evolve!

EDIT: Still not finished or cleared up yet.
60903-albums11224-picture49214.jpg

Looks great! I like the natural design style.

The ultra scaped ADA tanks are awesome to look at but to keep up with most of them would be difficult for the average person especially considering they are for winning competitions not living with them.

Yours is beautiful!

Autumnsky said:

The ultra scaped ADA tanks are awesome to look at but to keep up with most of them would be difficult for the average person especially considering they are for winning competitions not living with them.

Yours is beautiful!

Thank you! I agree, it would be so hard to keep up an ADA style tank. I just let this tank kinda go on it's own, though I fertilize it every day. It was really just my quarantine tank until I rescaped my 20 and decided to put the spare plants in here. Everything in here is just extra stuff or plants I no longer use in the bigger tank. It's a betta tank now. ~_^

Yours is beautiful!

Many people with ADA tanks (including myself) don't need to do a lot of maintenance in their tanks. The main issue with them (in my opinion) is the expense. The only maintenance I do on mine is a water change and make fert mixes for my autodosers once every two weeks. I will eventually need to trim the plants, but trimming is usually a part of any planted tank. I would call myself an average planted tank person, and it has been easy for me. The main necessity is to have help and advice from people like on this forum. Also, not all ADA tanks are just for contests. Some are just to be something pretty or nice to look at.

Back
Top Bottom