What deficiency effects only Anubias nana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docrak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m seeing this problem in my 55 and my 60. I have Anubias nana cutting in both tanks. Only the older leafs in the nana are turning yellow. I have three different anubias species in the 60 and it only seems to affecting the anubias nana. The 55 has 2wpg and the 60 has 3wpg using compact fluorescent bulbs.

I don’t run co2 but dose Excel regularly. I also dose Seachem iron, flourish, and trace regularly. (I know I have to get a supply of dry ferts) I have no idea what my hardness levels are. I have an iron rich soil and keep nitrates at 10-20ppm and phosphate a .5-1ppm. I have been having a problem keeping nitrates at above 2-5ppm for the past couple months. I’ve only recently been able to get my nitrates up.

What deficiency shows up only in old slow growth plants and not in the others? The deficency has only started to show up recenly. The plants have been doing great until now.

Thanks, I’ll post photos later.

Since this is only effecting the older leaves, then that would mean it is a mobil element deficency. A mobil element deficency means that the plant is telling the older leaves to transfer the needed element to the newer leaves. These deficencies are: zinc, molybdenum, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

Here is a good resource for pinpointing what is lacking in your plants:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/nutrient-deficiency.html

HTH

EDIT: I see you are monitoring or adding Nitrates, Phosphates, and Micro's, but what about potassium?

rkilling1 said:
Since this is only effecting the older leaves, then that would mean it is a mobil element deficency. A mobil element deficency means that the plant is telling the older leaves to transfer the needed element to the newer leaves. These deficencies are: zinc, molybdenum, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

HTH

I think it's pretty much the nitrogen. I have been dosing lots of the others elements. I don't think there is any hope for those leaves. I'm just going to let the snails keep eating in dead tissue and hope the new leaves start growing soon.

Thanks

docrak said:
I think it's pretty much the nitrogen. I have been dosing lots of the others elements. I don't think there is any hope for those leaves. I'm just going to let the snails keep eating in dead tissue and hope the new leaves start growing soon.

Thanks

No, there is no hope for those leaves, once the elements are transferred. I have not read any sources of info that suggest that the plant can resend or replenish those leaves.

Actually, I'd recommend that you go ahead and remove the affected leaves. You may want to wait until you get your Nitrates back up, but by trimming the damaged leaves you allow the plant to focus on growing new leaves instead of loosing energy to the older leaves.

rkilling1 said:
EDIT: I see you are monitoring or adding Nitrates, Phosphates, and Micro's, but what about potassium?

I don't have a test kit for potassium. I dose the Seachem stuff a double the required dose and havn't seen any signs of deficiency in any of the other plants. My amazon swords show potassium deficiencies long before any other plant in my tank.

Thanks

There isn't a hobbiest grade test kit for potassium. You've stated that you're dosing double the required dose, but what are you basing that on? How many mls are you dosing and how frequently?

Reguardless, I agree that it sounds like Nitrates are you most likely problem with the Anubias.

One word (or sentence :D ) of caution about having low NO3's. With the amount of light (coupled with carbon addition) you have and letting NO3's bottom out, you are in for some major algae problems if you do not get it fixed.

I had some major issues with Anubias (A few kinds). Absolutely would not grow, no new leaves and old leaves would turn yellow within a few weeks.

Just recently, I gave it another shot, and it started dieing. Based on a new (to me) water report from the city, I began dosing magnesium. Snipped off all the old leaves and part of the rhizome that seemed to be rotting, and it's making a remarkable recovery- I now have about 5 leaves the size of pencil erasers, up from zero leaves a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom