What do you feel your Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Jusr curious... I bought a oscar which I am going to give to a friend soon and am wondering what you feed him? He's probably a little over an inch right now.

Sorry for the stupid question, but it's better to ask than misfeed.

I try not to feel them :p They attempt to bite me :p

I feed them Hikari Cichlid Gold, large pellet, as normal food. They get bloodworms and beef heart as treats.

Since he's just over an inch, I'd pick up a bag of Hikari Cichlid, red or green bag (Red is the Gold, for color enhancement), probably the small pellets. Switch him to medium when he gets to 2 inch, and start considering large around 4-5 in

mine are about the same size right now and I feed them frozen bloodworms and cichlid pellets. Once in a while they get a guppy or two.

Whatever you do, DON'T use feeder goldfish, ever. They contain a lotta fat and fatty acids that Oscars can't really deal with, besides the fact that their usually in poor health or sick when you buy them at the store. They're a leading cause of Hole in the Head.

Use guppy fry, or, if you want to breed your own quickly and easily, convict cichlids.

Try the Omega One brand foods also. They are the only flakes and pellets that have no fish meal as a binder, and instead use fish proteins. My oscars are full of color, and very healthy! I think it's the best food you can buy!

okay, next question...

It's a tiger oscar and when he went into the tank, he turned pretty pale in about two days. Is he just adjusting to the tank or is something wrong?

All water params are normal and the tank is cycled.

Is anyone in the tank bullying him? But it certainly possible that he's pale because he's still uncomfortable with his environment. If thats the case then he should color up within a few days.

Endgame319 said:
Is anyone in the tank bullying him? But it certainly possible that he's pale because he's still uncomfortable with his environment. If thats the case then he should color up within a few days.

I just think he's still adjusting. There's nothing else in the tank to bully him.

Back
Top Bottom