What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finished my slate cave today and put it in my tank...idk how I feel about it yet, so here is the before and after...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-1912532470.jpg
    image-1912532470.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2231282928.jpg
    image-2231282928.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3133365443.jpg
    image-3133365443.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 99
FishN00b83 said:
I finished my slate cave today and put it in my tank...idk how I feel about it yet, so here is the before and after...what do you guys think?

Were the driftwood and slate bought from a store?

The slate is all cemented together (it took me all day lol) so its as stable as anything. All the slate was bought at the LFS, and the driftwood I bought online from someplace in california.

I'm trying to grow Vals in the back so you can't see through the tank. I don't have much luck with them though for some reason. Hopefully they start doing better soon.

FishN00b83 said:
The slate is all cemented together (it took me all day lol) so its as stable as anything. All the slate was bought at the LFS, and the driftwood I bought online from someplace in california.

I'm trying to grow Vals in the back so you can't see through the tank. I don't have much luck with them though for some reason. Hopefully they start doing better soon.

I like it!! Maybe add some moss:)? Lol what do you mean by you cemented it together? With silicone?

Austin.b said:
I like it!! Maybe add some moss:)? Lol what do you mean by you cemented it together? With silicone?

Yeah I was thinking of covering it in dwarf baby tears or moss. The stuff I used to put it together was a quick dry aquarium epoxy...it comes in a tube...you just break off a little piece and kneed it in your fingers until it turns white, then put it between 2 pieces. In 8 minutes it starts to harden, in 30 mins it turns to rock and then you can sand it down. It like grout for tiling floors when it's dry.

I liked the DW better. My thing with caves is they should be barely noticeable. Hiding in the plants. In our 40, I have small slate caves and small flower pots hidden in the plants. So at first glance, you see DW, plants, fish (snails and otos maybe) then as you focus, you see the hint of slate.

DragonFish71 said:
I liked the DW better. My thing with caves is they should be barely noticeable. Hiding in the plants. In our 40, I have small slate caves and small flower pots hidden in the plants. So at first glance, you see DW, plants, fish (snails and otos maybe) then as you focus, you see the hint of slate.

Yeah I would like to do the same. I'm really trying to get away from the minimal look and get it to be a natural looking tank. I just need my plants to grow and throw out more runners. I made it in a way that I can take each individual cave and move it some where. Each triangle is its own cave and they are just sitting next to each other, with the top just resting on them all. I can move anything around easily.

Or I was thinking maybe let everything grow out and cover the thing completely in moss or baby tears ...

JokerWx13 said:
uhhh, doesn't cement leech toxic chemicals into the water? o-o someone doublecheck me on that

I used a aquarium epoxy, it's not cement, but it holds like it

FishN00b83 said:
Yeah I was thinking of covering it in dwarf baby tears or moss. The stuff I used to put it together was a quick dry aquarium epoxy...it comes in a tube...you just break off a little piece and kneed it in your fingers until it turns white, then put it between 2 pieces. In 8 minutes it starts to harden, in 30 mins it turns to rock and then you can sand it down. It like grout for tiling floors when it's dry.

Oh ok, lol I was freaking out because I thought you used cement or something lol

JokerWx13 said:
uhhh, doesn't cement leech toxic chemicals into the water? o-o someone doublecheck me on that

Yeah, that's why I got scared when the OP said that he cemented it together lol

I wont do anything with my tank until I research the hell out of it. The last thing I need is a massive die off lol

Back
Top Bottom