what fish and how many suitable for a 15 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claudio1

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone,i have a 15 gallon tank is a 60x40x31cm with 6 danios and 2 mollies,someone told me that there was to many fish,so i'm looking for advice on what fish and how many can i put in this tank..thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont fink you have too much fish but its also inportent how wath your fiter is end how many water changes

thanks for replying lucasraap,i have a 600 l/h powerhead with a diy filter canister,and i normally do a 20% water change weekly,i had a problem with this tank(if you check my other post),but now all parameters are at 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and between 10 and 20 ppm nitrates..

He send a link wath may help you

You may be ok bioload wise, but Danios and Mollies usually are much too active for a tank that size. I highly recommend aqadvisor.com (recommended above), its a good starting point. I usually like starting a stocking plan there, then refining it via research and checking with folks here to see if anyone can spot any potential problems that I may have missed.

thanks for your advice luananeko,i had use the aqadvice and on the list of suitable fish for my tank says is ok danios and mollies,but i'm thinking of take the danios to my lfs,and get 1 more female molly as i have 1 male and 1 female,and later maybe get some platies or guppies and some black venezuelan corydoras...

Yep, that's a perfect example of why aqadvisor's recommendations are a starting point. Bioload-wise Mollies and Danios are perfectly fine in there, it's the tank dimensions that are the issue. Danios do best with at least 20" long tanks so they can get the exercise they need zooming up and down the length of the tank, which you won't find until you get up to a 20 gallon long ;) Same goes for the Mollies, they're usually active enough that most people will recommend a 20 gallon long minimum.

Platies and guppies are much better choices for that size tank, just beware that you may have more babies born than you know what to do with them :)

You could make an awesome 15g planted guppy tank. Tank size can hold up to two dozen guppies so you can have a peaceful community tank along with some Java moss and Java fern. You could also throw some platies or a Betta in there to spice things up.

thanks for the idea oscar,i'm going to search to get some ideas on what fish and plants i like the most,and get some advice here and my lfs...thanks.

You could make an awesome 15g planted guppy tank. Tank size can hold up to two dozen guppies so you can have a peaceful community tank along with some Java moss and Java fern. You could also throw some platies or a Betta in there to spice things up.

Careful on the betta... Some bettas will not tolerate guppy tankmates because their long colorful fins are too similar to another male betta. I've done bettas and guppies together, but it was in a much larger tank, the betta was added last, and it was a very carefully introduced and monitored situation. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it will take a lot of risk management, careful watching, and the right betta personality. Research it first.

Careful on the betta... Some bettas will not tolerate guppy tankmates because their long colorful fins are too similar to another male betta. I've done bettas and guppies together, but it was in a much larger tank, the betta was added last, and it was a very carefully introduced and monitored situation. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it will take a lot of risk management, careful watching, and the right betta personality. Research it first.

i think i will just stick with mollies and platies and a couple of corydoras,or platties and guppies and a couple of corydoras..thanks for all the ideas and advice,i really appreciate it..

Back
Top Bottom