What fish can I put in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new on here so I apologize if I'm posting this incorrectly. I just purchased my first tank which is 20 gallons. The fish I originally wanted was neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 2 african dwarf frogs but was told that they wouldn't go together well. I really would like african dwarf frogs and would get only them if it meant that they'd be happy. I'd really like some suggestions if possible. Price isn't an issue so I'd be happy to look into anything you recommend. I mainly just don't want aggressive fish such as the betta. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm surprised no one has responded yet. These questions usually return a ton of answers.

You should be good with the tetras and/or frogs, but your problem with them is that they are extremely sensitive to changes in their water. With a new tank, your water is going to be all over the place for a bit. Good chance these guys won't survive the ride.

I'm not a fan of danios, but they are really hearty and can teach you a lot if your new to the hobby. My wife and I got 7 long-finned blue danios that are really pretty. I wouldn't add 7 all at once to start your collection, but they are a nice fish. Once your well cycled and pretty stable, add some corys instead of the pleco. The pleco isn't worth the bioload it takes up. You'll hardly ever see it and they can be aggressive.

After a few months (months? Really?) yeah, months... get you some of the tetras, but pay attention to your water and make sure it's been good for a while first. Same with the frogs. Be careful with your fish selections if you get frogs, they eat slow and will starve if the food is gone before they get around to eating it. I'd like to recommend you consider the cardinal tetra. Same general look, but much more striking.

Now for a totally different recommendation. If you are comfortable with less fish, but really cool ones, I would recommend no frogs, a small school of the tetras and a pair (maybe 2) of German blue rams. Again, sensitive to water parameters, but beautiful fish. And if they start breeding, all the better. Sell them to the LFS an pay for your hobby. Not all at once, but if they breed once they'll do it again.

That's my 2 cents...

Wow, thanks for the response! I actually got some responses on a similar question at least haha. But for now I've decided on some Cory's and a few neon tetras. I'll get the frogs in a few months but allow for them to have their own tank. As for the pleco, yeah, it might be a bit too aggressive for me for now anyways. I'd like my fish to be happy and live in peace. No drama! Thank you so much though! Excellent advice.

Well, first you need to cycle the tank. Here are some articles to get you started:

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby

Stocking Guidelines for Newbies

Guide to Starting a Fresh Water Aquarium

But to answer your question, yes, you could keep all those fish together, but African Dwarf Frogs really do best in their own tanks. They are messy, and can't see very well, so you should hand feed them if you do decide to put them in a community aquarium.

You could do something like this and it would look really great:

15 Neon Tetras
1 Dwarf or Honey Gourami or Betta (Yes! They can be kept in a community tank!)
1 BN Pleco

or

5 Cherry or Gold Barbs
5 Panda or Peppered Cory Cats
10 Neon Tetras or 6 Cardinal Tetras

or

3 Males Guppies
3 Male Platies
1 Male Sword Tail
5 Neon Tetras

or

1 Bolivian Ram (German Blue Rams are not a beginner fish)
7 Harlequin Rasboras
1 BN Plec
7 Neon Tetras

There are a lot of options, these would be good for a beginner. They are colorful, active, and pretty easy to keep.

I agree that they aren't beginner fish, but I wouldn't put cardinals, neons, corys, or ADFs in a brand new setup. This was a down the road suggestion, but I don't think these guys are really all that difficult and they are much prettier than the Bolivian, unless your doing everything perfectly and he colors up like a show-fish. Plus i think a Bolivian might make a snack of really young cards or neons.

Electric blue rams should definitely be avoided, though. I understand they are selectively bred and very sensitive/delicate.

Still, though, I agree with all your suggestions. I think all of them would provide nice communities with lots of variety.

I agree that they aren't beginner fish, but I wouldn't put cardinals, neons, corys, or ADFs in a brand new setup. This was a down the road suggestion, but I don't think these guys are really all that difficult and they are much prettier than the Bolivian, unless your doing everything perfectly and he colors up like a show-fish. Plus i think a Bolivian might make a snack of really young cards or neons.

Electric blue rams should definitely be avoided, though. I understand they are selectively bred and very sensitive/delicate.

Still, though, I agree with all your suggestions. I think all of them would provide nice communities with lots of variety.

I re-read my post, and realized it started kinda hateful sounding. I sure didn't mean it that way. Scottyhorse knows what he's talking about and has offered tons of good advice. He's 100% right about the nitrogen cycle, too. It's too easy to assume others know about it, even though I didn't when I started. If you don't know what it is , be sure to do the research. It can mean the difference in enjoying this hobby and quitting it.

My name is Shannon Shannon! Lol. But I can't help u further than these two did, they do give great advice!! I just want to say welcome to the forum! And I think you'll love fish keeping!!

Catoe, you're fine! We all have our own opinions, and it's fine to voice them. I wasn't saying you should put them in a brand new set up, heck, you really shouldn't even put a betta or a goldfish in a brand new set up.
I have seen some very pretty Bolivian rams though. I do agree that German Rams are prettier than Bolivian Rams. That is why I chose a pair of Germans over Bolivians, even though I knew the risks that they could just die for no reason.
You do have a point that a Bolivian Ram might snack on young Neon or Cardinal Tetras. This is one reason why it is best to buy a young fish. Another reason to buy a young fish is they will have an easier time changing homes, it's less stressful for them.
I will also admit to not cycling my tank when I first started either.. I added 3 Neon Tetras and 2 male Guppies in a two gallon tank. I don't even remember if I used water conditioner..
I will say that if you do get a successful spawn from Bolivian or German Rams, most likely it won't pay for the entire hobby, but you could for sure pay for fish food and or plant food.

My word of advice for you Shannon, make sure you read up on cycling and do lot's of research on tank size, cycling, care for the fish you want, and everything else you can soak up :)

Hah, nice, a 20 gallon for starters
If you plan on having your tank unheated(as long as the temperature in your house doesn't drop bellow 40 degrees) it might be cool to have a school of white cloud mountain minnows(wcmm) if you feel too lazy to say the entire name:) these guys are pretty small, but have pretty cool colors, having a pinkish line running down the middle. In a 20 gallon, you could put about 15 of them in. I have 8 in my 10 gallon as you can see. You can also put 2-3 dojo(also called weather) loaches. These guys are really awesome, they are snakelike, really cool coming in a golden and brown variety, but I have to ask if it is a 20 long or 20 normal, if it is a normal, don't get the loaches, as they need space to swim as they grow pretty big. That would really suck they are pretty awesome. Sorry if I'm writing too much. Also, if the temperature at your house doesn't drop bellow 60 degrees, you can keep ghost shrimp, they help clean your aquarium, really cool creatures. I have 12 in my 10 gallon, so put about 12-25 of them in your 20 gallon. If you don't want an unheated tell me, I have pretty cool ideas, also your bn pleco might eat your frogs, I also have one of those, any ? U have, ask I'll help, here are pictures of how they look like

Attachments

• image-1744173330.jpg
    image-1744173330.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2589034272.jpg
    image-2589034272.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-4212642111.jpg
    image-4212642111.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4207547850.jpg
    image-4207547850.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-818544316.jpg
    image-818544316.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-785132793.jpg
    image-785132793.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2436812933.jpg
    image-2436812933.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3314044992.jpg
    image-3314044992.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 69
Well, My dad has kept them in 10 gallon long before, they lived for 11years, they grew to be a foot long, so they were pretty happy, they would do pretty good in a 20 gallon

Oh I forgot!
Also try apple( also called mystery) snails, they clean up the algae in your tank, they are pretty cool, they get to be tennis ball sized, I would put two in your 20 gallon

Attachments

• image-4214012752.jpg
    image-4214012752.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 37
Great, thanks! And you guys are so funny. I'm not sure why. The fact that I'm tired could quite possibly have something to do with it. I'm just laughing hysterically at things that aren't even supposed to be funny. And this reply is pretty much pointless since I'm rambling about something that has nothing to do with fish. o_O

You already have some good replys I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! :)

Please don't put 3 of those loaches in your tank... Not even 1. I'm half convinced he had to have been messing with you...

Well, My dad has kept them in 10 gallon long before, they lived for 11years, they grew to be a foot long, so they were pretty happy, they would do pretty good in a 20 gallon

I doubt they were happy fish at all they got a foot long so they can swim about 6 inches then can't even turn around what a good life.

Back
Top Bottom