What fish should I add next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently have 6 Harlequin Rasbora, 2 Cherry Barb and 2 Ghost Shrimp. What would go good with these two kinds of fish and not eat my shrimp? Lol. I wanted kissing gourami's, but the compatibility chart I looked at says Rasbora and Gourami don't get along. Don't really want white cloud or danios.

Kissers are too big for your tank anyway. I suggest getting a full school of cherry barbs rather than just 2.
If you want a different species of gourami, that could work though. There is never a guarantee that any given fish will get along with shrimp. I have even had guppies who ate ghost shrimp. But, if the tank is well planted, ghosties get big enough that they would hopefully be fine.
How about a honey gourami? Croaking gourami?

One site said 29 at minimum for kissers, but another said 55 min. So many different opinions. You're right.. they do get fairly large and 29g doesn't seem adequate. Having Blue Rams or a few Yellow Labs would be nice. If only I had an empty tank right now :/ I'm looking into honey gourami's.

They can reach a foot. IMO, there is no way a foot long fish should go in a 29g tank long term. Yeah, I have found all sorts of varying info for all my fish about what tank size works for them. Fish keeping certainly leads to varying opinions. Lol.
Rams would be ok with that stock IMO. I just suggested the gouramis since you said you liked the kissers.

absolutangel04 said:
They can reach a foot. IMO, there is no way a foot long fish should go in a 29g tank long term. Yeah, I have found all sorts of varying info for all my fish about what tank size works for them. Fish keeping certainly leads to varying opinions. Lol.
Rams would be ok with that stock IMO. I just suggested the gouramis since you said you liked the kissers.

I totally agree with you. Maybe some people just think in the short-term, while many others think about keeping their fish lifelong. Who knows.
I was reading up on Rams and Labs, but even though they're not so aggressive, it seemed as if they didn't go well in a community tank. If you think there is a chance they could, I might consider it!
I appreciate the info on gourami's. I certainly like them as well as cichlids a lot. My DP tank is so plain, I gotta have change in this other tank lol.

Let's say I stay with what I have; how many more Cherry and Rasbora could I add comfortably? 5 or 6ish?

Labs are much more aggressive than rams. Labs owuld not be ok in this set-up IMO. They are more mild-mannered than some other Africans, but still not well suited for a community at all. I looked into them quite a bit when I first set up my community.
Rams are a totally different story. Rams are usually awesome community fish. The only issues with rams can be from a breeding pair chasing other bottom dwellers. Even that is not not necessarily a big deal at all. Rams are pretty mild usually. IMO, you would be fine with 2 more harlies, 4 more cherries, and a ram or 2. Of course, all of that is assuming that your filter/pwc schedule keeps the water params in check. But behaviorally speaking, you have the space. :)

I should add that I think the numbers of the cherries/harlies I listed are a good starting point and you can always add more later if you think they would be ok in there.
I also was going to say you would likely have space for a small algae eater like a BNP or oto trio if you wanted.

I'm going to research rams more in depth. They're okay solo? I'm glad I had more room than I thought :)
Filtration is an AC50 and pwc are on Saturday's. Pwc's are 10 gallons. Maybe a little much, but keeps the water clean! Gravel vac 50% of the tank every 2 weeks. Have some pfs in there now, so less vacuuming.

absolutangel04 said:
I should add that I think the numbers of the cherries/harlies I listed are a good starting point and you can always add more later if you think they would be ok in there.
I also was going to say you would likely have space for a small algae eater like a BNP or oto trio if you wanted.

Had an oto about 2 weeks ago. It lasted 12 hrs and died. Didn't drip acclimate him, so maybe I shocked him! Considering more ghosties and possibly 2-3 oto.

Yes, a ram is totally fine solo. You would also be ok with 2 if you wanted.
Yeah, you do have some room. :) It sounds like you have a good filter/pwc schedule so thats good too.
Personally, I keep Bolivian rams in my community. They tend to be hardier than a lot of the German blue/gold rams available. A different dwarf cichlid option is apistos. There are some really cool ones out there and they make good community dwellers like rams do.

Yeah, a dwarf cichlid would love that tank with that centerpeice rock thing in there. :)
Otos tend to be a bit sensitive and its really common for people to lose a couple of them right after purchase.
Rams do tend to be good shrimp hunters, so I am not positive how they would be with your ghosties. But, ghosties get decently sized so it might be ok. Rams are known to hunt down rcs in tanks, but ghosties get bigger. The only way to really know if it would work or not is to try it I guess.

absolutangel04 said:
Yes, a ram is totally fine solo. You would also be ok with 2 if you wanted.
Yeah, you do have some room. :) It sounds like you have a good filter/pwc schedule so thats good too.
Personally, I keep Bolivian rams in my community. They tend to be hardier than a lot of the German blue/gold rams available. A different dwarf cichlid option is apistos. There are some really cool ones out there and they make good community dwellers like rams do.

You just sold me on apistogramma's!

Yeah, there are some really awesome colors out there! They also are really fun to watch because they can be personable. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, a dwarf cichlid would love that tank with that centerpeice rock thing in there. :)
Otos tend to be a bit sensitive and its really common for people to lose a couple of them right after purchase.
Rams do tend to be good shrimp hunters, so I am not positive how they would be with your ghosties. But, ghosties get decently sized so it might be ok. Rams are known to hunt down rcs in tanks, but ghosties get bigger. The only way to really know if it would work or not is to try it I guess.

Now, if the lfs doesn't have apistos, would any other dwarf cichlid be okay? There's so many different kinds of species and groups of cichlids, idk what suits what the best.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, there are some really awesome colors out there! They also are really fun to watch because they can be personable. :)

If my DP would take kindly to them, that tank would be so lively! Lol. My DP solo is a riot to watch lol.

Off to the lfs tmrw after work!!!! =]

Well, there are a quite a few dwarf cichlids that would be ok. The golden dwarf, dwarf humpheads, dwarf flag cichlids, striped dwarf cichlids would each work instead. Not just any dwarf cichlid would work though. It does depend on the variety. Most of the SA dwarf cichlids would probably be good options. Its always best to double check though before a cichlid for a community because the wrong fish can wreak havoc. Lol.

Will do. I'll most likely double check back on here tomorrow evening before I purchase any. Thanks so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom