What fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Female gouramis are usually more grey...they aren't near as colorful as males. Usually stores don't sell females because they aren't colorful, so it may be hard to find some.

JustOneMore20 said:
Female gouramis are usually more grey...they aren't near as colorful as males. Usually stores don't sell females because they aren't colorful, so it may be hard to find some.
That would be with dwarf gouramis.

Female gold, blue, pearl, and many other gouramis are plentiful in stores. They are not just a drab greyish color either.

Here's a pic of a female gold gourami on the left and a male on the right:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/hurley-gold.jpg

Swimmer32 said:
What would you recomend as a good algae/bottom feeder? A Bristlenose Catfish of something?

I something similar once before (I can't remember what it was) but it was very aggressive.

It would make its way to the top of the tank, jump off the side, and then attack every fish on its way down to the bottom of the tank again. I hated that thing.

Any other way to tell the male Gouramis from the female, other than a pointed dorsal fin?

I don't know if I could spot the difference?

A bristlenose or rubberlip pleco would work.

Male gouramis usually will get a pointed anal fin, while female's always stay rounded. Males also have a wider mouth than females.

I saw some Lace Gourami's which looked really nice as well.

BTW, what is that fish in the background in the link you provided?

Is that some kind of Platy?

joannde said:
My personal favorites and recommendations would be:
Cory Cats for the bottom - they're alot of fun to watch. You should get 5 at a minimum since they love to play together and are most comfortable that way.

Can anyone recommend another type of bottom dweller maybe similar to Cory's that aren't schooling, and prefer or like to be by themselves?

I have a Bristlenose Cat but he stays mainly on the glass, and man, does that thing poop! 8O

I'm after something that tends more to the substrate, but only one fish, as I thinking I'm getting close to the max number of fish that I want.

I've read that rainbow sharks are quite aggressive.

That might be the only fish in the tank after a week or so. 8O

Back
Top Bottom