What fish would be good to put in a ten gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

downtowndisorder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi..
I currently have a nice ten gallon tank with a betta. I have decided that a ten gallon tank is too big for a betta, so I am going to move him into a smaller tank, and possibly put some other fish in the tank. So.. I would like to know what types of fish go great together and wont kill each other
Any ideas?
-Thanks

downtowndisorder said:
Hi..
I currently have a nice ten gallon tank with a betta. I have decided that a ten gallon tank is too big for a betta, so I am going to move him into a smaller tank, and possibly put some other fish in the tank. So.. I would like to know what types of fish go great together and wont kill each other
Any ideas?
-Thanks

Hi and welcome!
The 10g is a perfect home for your Betta. It would be sad to see him moved to something smaller. He would need a 5 gal tank anyway. Some bettas (depending on their personality) can be kept with other fish. Some possible tank mates for him would be pigmy cories, ember tetras, mystery snails, shrimp (if he doesn't eat them!) or any other small nano fish that prefer the higher temps and don't nip fins.

Hi I don't think a 10 is too big for ur betta why don't you add some fish in with him just not somthing with big fin tails ! fighters are ok with most fish just watch that you don't get any fin nipers

I already have a 5 gallon tank for my betta.. and I have tried putting him with some ghost shrimp before, and they lasted about 5 minutes before they were ripped to pieces and eaten.

Well since you have a nice home for the betta already. What type of fish would you want? Single larger one? Schools? Mixed? One specie? The possibilities are endless! Just give us a little info:)

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome!
The 10g is a perfect home for your Betta. It would be sad to see him moved to something smaller. He would need a 5 gal tank anyway. Some bettas (depending on their personality) can be kept with other fish. Some possible tank mates for him would be pigmy cories, ember tetras, mystery snails, shrimp (if he doesn't eat them!) or any other small nano fish that prefer the higher temps and don't nip fins.

+1

Aww dont move the little guy! They LOVE huge tanks, dont let the little cup they come in decieve you!! A betta is an AWESOME centerpeice fish!! Add some nano fish, snails, and shrimp and your tank will be better then ever!

Some smaller fish that'd be good in there would be:
Endlers
Guppies
Gold Ring Danios
Espei Rasboras
Chili rasboras
Dwarf Rasboras
Harlequin Rasboras
Dario Dario (scarlet Badis- only with smaller fish)
Sparkling Gouramis
Corydoras (pygmy kinds)
Killifish
CPO
CDO
Lots of different Shrimps
Platies
and some more! So many different options!

AquaKai said:
Some smaller fish that'd be good in there would be:
Endlers
Guppies
Gold Ring Danios
Espei Rasboras
Chili rasboras
Dwarf Rasboras
Harlequin Rasboras
Dario Dario (scarlet Badis- only with smaller fish)
Sparkling Gouramis
Corydoras (pygmy kinds)
Killifish
CPO
CDO
Lots of different Shrimps
Platies
and some more! So many different options!

Ah how could I forget harlequins! That's what I have in my 10 lol.

Just an idea, but would I be able to put Chinese algae eaters, black mollies, white clouds, and neon tetras together?

downtowndisorder said:
Just an idea, but would I be able to put Chinese algae eaters, black mollies, white clouds, and neon tetras together?

No too many fish.
CAE get huge and aggressive and can eat other fishes slime coats. Mollies are too big for a ten. White clouds prefer cooler temps than the rest but can still be kept with most tropicals. Neon tetras are debatable in a ten. Lots say they need more swimming space than a ten provides.

In the 10 gallon? No. Sorry those fish are incompatiable for each other and the 10 gallon tank. White clouds need slightly cooler water temperature than all of the rest. Black mollies get BIG and they need like a 20 gallon tank. I've heard some bad stories about Chinese algae eaters considering most gotten are the false ones and will be horrible for that size tank. Neons would be the only ok fish for the tank if you wanted some other fish as well. But I have heard that neons are fairly hard to keep because they are so inbreed that they are very very sensitive and sometimes fall victim to the neon tetra disease. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there it is.
*edit: read above, they said the truth and beat me to it:)

Back
Top Bottom