What is a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a sump and how does it work?

Advantages, disadvantages, equipment, etc.

I've been seeing he word for a while and I don't know what is is exactly. I'm guessing it's some kind of extra filtration? Can you make one or do you have to buy it?

A sump is basically an accessory or separate tank that usually sits below the main tank used as a filter and to hold heater and other unsightly stuff away from the main tank. As a filter it can hold huge amounts of filter media.
Water is fed to it via gravity and once it passes through the filter it's pumped back into the tank.

Sounds pretty cool but isn't that almost the same thing as a canister filter? And what all do you need to make it?

No canister filter can hold more water volume then your sump. Think of a sump as another aquarium under your main aquarium. You have a 55g main and can have a 30g sump under. Now your total water vol is 75 (minus rock, gravel etc) Now you can always see what is going on vs a canister that you have to opened. You can add whatever filter media you want inside and whatever direction you want to go.

Sumps are more often used in saltwater applications. In the SW world, most people don't even use a traditional filter. Instead, they use a sump with any or all of the following: live rock, sand, bioballs, macro algae, plus equipment. Very few use it in freshwater.

Part of the reason is that water is generally captured from an overflow meaning it comes off the top of the tank rather than from the bottom. This works with SW b/c saltwater has higher viscosity allowing a lot of the waste to rise to the top where in freshwater it falls to the bottom.

In order to make it work, you would either use a drilled tank or an overflow box. The water would drain into the sump and through a series of media. Then, a pump would move the water back to the main display.

The benefit is size. You can increase the overall water volume of your system by a great deal depending on the size of your sump. The downside is maintenance. Using a canister filter simply keeps everything moving through somewhat of a more "closed" system.

I have a 25g reef and a 40 gallon FW. I would never consider a sump for FW personally. Instead, I just use a high quality oversized filter that makes my life very easy (Eheim 2273)

A sump is perfect for saltwater or freshwater. I would take a sump over any canister filter anyday

I just use a high quality oversized filter that makes my life very easy (Eheim 2273)

How does it make your life easy? I can changed my filter on the wet/dry faster than on my eheim 2080

For me, there's just too much that can go wrong with a sump to use it if unnecessary. Of course that may be based on the SW experience. If I get too much evap and don't fill, then the salt content gets too high. Part of my daily routine is to top off that sump

How does it make your life easy? I can changed my filter on the wet/dry faster than on my eheim 2080

Because the maintenance suggested by Eheim had me getting into it about once a quarter. That's pretty good. Plus I don't have to worry about blocked overflows or faulty pumps that could then lead to flooding.

For me, there's just too much that can go wrong with a sump to use it if unnecessary. Of course that may be based on the SW experience. If I get too much evap and don't fill, then the salt content gets too high. Part of my daily routine is to top off that sump

What can go wrong? I'm confused. Also most reef ready aquariums are drilled at the bottom and this the sumps are gravity fed. Waste doesn't settle at the bottom because of flow not because sw is thicker than fw lol. I'd use a sump over a canister or hob anyway of he week. Plus it is easier to work in. The evaporation applies to all sw even with a canister or hob filter. Hence why a lot of ppl invest in auto top off. The extra water volume makes it much better than other filtration as well. However, fw can easily run without one. It just makes sw so much easier IMO.

I can't think of any disadvantages because if you build it right then you don't have to worry much. A sump also let's your display tank hide everything. If your having sump problems then you need to fine tune and if its ever overflowed you need to make small adjustments

If I get too much evap and don't fill, then the salt content gets too high. Part of my daily routine is to top off that sump

ATO- :D

A big plus is that I can see everything going on. With a big FW aquarium there is nothing better to have than a sump IMHO. Maintenance suggested by Eheim doesnt count vs' what bio load is. Heavy bioload means cleaning more.

Blocked overflow on a FW tank? faulty pumps- get another one been running mines and many others for many years. Pump goes off on mine doesnt cause an overflow. Same can happened to the eheim with a faulty pump......

What can go wrong? I'm confused. Also most reef ready aquariums are drilled at the bottom and this the sumps are gravity fed. Waste doesn't settle at the bottom because of flow not because sw is thicker than fw lol. I'd use a sump over a canister or hob anyway of he week. Plus it is easier to work in. The evaporation applies to all sw even with a canister or hob filter. Hence why a lot of ppl invest in auto top off. The extra water volume makes it much better than other filtration as well. However, fw can easily run without one. It just makes sw so much easier IMO.

Well, we all have preferences. I would never attempt a SW without a sump, but just don't see the point (for me) in FW. In my SW, the filtration comes from my live rock and macro algae. Since there aren't any FW equivalents to these, I just prefer using the canister.

I'm a paranoid aquarist... Don't trust the ATO.

Either way, both systems have their pros and cons. The biggest plus for me on sumps is the substantial increase in overall water volume.

You'll never convince me, though. I spent too much money on that Eheim to allow my mind to be changed ?.

All this has definitely helped my understanding of a sump but is it something that is homemade? And what would you have to buy to make one? And how pricey can it get?

All this has definitely helped my understanding of a sump but is it something that is homemade? And what would you have to buy to make one? And how pricey can it get?

It can be home made or store bought. You can also get them on-line for reasonable prices. As with anything, the price just depends on how you do it.

I'm a paranoid aquarist... Don't trust the ATO.

Either way, both systems have their pros and cons. The biggest plus for me on sumps is the substantial increase in overall water volume.

You'll never convince me, though. I spent too much money on that Eheim to allow my mind to be changed ?de1c.

No one is trying to change your mind. We all have our likes and dislikes but sumps are the best.

1. More water volume
2. More gas exchange
3. You can hide EVERYTHING
4. Customizable media
5. Easy to work with
6. Can use part as a refugium
7. Can mix your chemicals in return
8. It's awesome
9. Can be as big or small as you like

No one is trying to change your mind.

I know, I was kidding. I'm about to upgrade to a 65 from a 40 and I'm just imagining the benefits of that extra 20 or 30 gallons.

I agree with everything you said. I just haven't used them in FW.

Back
Top Bottom