What is the dark grey eel-like fellow in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnMayer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
And where did he come from?! I haven’t bought any live rock in years, other than a tiny lump about the size of a small egg I bought a few months ago with some coral polyps (they died). The other day I was feeding my fish—I only have five small ones that I know of in a 120 gallon tank—and watching a bit of squid circulating around the tank. All of a sudden, and very MUCH to my surprise, an eel-like creature poked out from under a piece of coral and snatched the food in an instant. I had sworn never to buy another eel after my snowflake got big enough to menace my tank—he committed suicide, ultimately—and never bought anyone remotely resembling this party. I do SOMETIMES put live oysters from the grocer in my tank, and their shells often harbor very small sealife …

I suppose it could be an eel-like fish. He actually looks more like a blenny in the face, but he’s definitely long and eel-like. I’ve not seen the full length of him, but he’s at least five inches. He has a pectoral fin running most of his length (so far). He’s very dark grey, not quite black, with white, irregular stripes here and there up both sides (ventral to dorsal). Anyone know what I might have on my hands? And how much of a threat he is to the community in my tank?

Wow..you added an engineer goby without even knowing it! That is pretty crazy.

They are awesome fish, i have an 8-9" and he is super unique.

Thanks to both of you. I see there is a lot of variation, but, by Gum, I think you got it. He looks a lot like this guy http://www.thepetstop.com/adminpics/20904.jpg but with a bit less white, more grey. I see there is a lot of variation in the distribution of the markings. So, which of my tank’s residents are in danger, if any? And can anyone speculate on where he came from? He must have been very, very small. I have never purchased an engineer goby in my life, and, as I said, I’ve put no large live rock in my tank in, probably, ten years, except for the very small piece—a couple inches at its largest—that I got a few coral polyps on. And that was only three or four months ago, not nearly long enough for him to have hidden therein and then grown to this size.

Thanks again!

~ John Mayer

They're peaceful I wouldn't worry. And just wondering, what do you mean you think you have 5 fish???? Do they go missing?

And just wondering, what do you mean you think you have 5 fish???? Do they go missing?

Well, yes. I add a fish, it hides among the coral and I think it’s dead; then it reappears months later. Plainly the engineer goby has been lurking in there for some time, unbeknownst to me. I added a lawnmower blenny a few months back that I’m PRETTY sure is deceased. I’ve been busy with school and then a new job, so my aquarium—which I’ve had since the 80’s, though this is the second tank, with a transfer of livestock along the way—has been in life support mode. I’m curious about your batfish. The reason I traded my 55 gallon tank for the 120 one, back in the mid-90’s, was so that my new batfish, which was being harrassed by my clownfish, might be spared with more territory. It was too late, though. I’d like to get another orbicularis, but I still have the same clownfish …

What about my bat? She has a tiny bit of ick which she got yesterday from an unquarantined fish.... It seems to be at bay though. Hopefully she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom