What is the psi rateing for a coke bottle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm making my own CO2 setup.

I have access for brewer's yeast from a friend that brews his own...and it's good!! Anyways, he said that the container should be able to hold 15lbs/psi as this yeast makes A LOT of bubbles / CO2

Will a coke bottle handle that kind of PSI??? Or should I look into PVC containers??

Thanks for the help.

I've made CO2 reactors with standard drink bottles. As long as you don't put a valve on the output, the risk of container brakage is rather low. The pressure will never be greater than the water at the depth of the outlet.

I asked coke and they gave me this info. I think I'm good.

"The amount of PSIs (pounds of pressure per square inch) that a package is able to withstand depends on the volume of carbonation and is based on the product as much as the package. At lower temperatures, the pressure is lower; at higher temperatures, the pressure is higher. A can is able to withstand over 100 PSIs. A 6.5-ounce glass bottle can withstand 225 PSIs. A 16-ounce bottle can withstand 175 PSIs. A PET bottle can withstand 150 PSIs--the industry standard."

A coke bottle should more than be up to the task of holding the psi a co2 yeast generating whatnot can produce. Now this does come from experience but the amount of pressure it takes to make a coke bottle explode is very high and if this is any consilation the noise that it makes if enough to break glass windows if close enough to the area of explosion. IE indoors. Outdoors exploding coke bottles are enough of an annoyance to make the neighbors call the local authorities, but that is with certain stuff that have a bit more power than yeast. Offcoarse the big 2 liters will hold less pressure than a one litter and a one litter will hold less pressure than the normal size coke bottle. So if you use one, use the one liter or smaller for high pressure and the 2 liter for lower pressures. This info is just for bottles that coca cola comes in, the quality of manufacture in other bottles has not been tested and therefore should be used at own risk. HTH

Dont ask and I won't have to Lie.

Interesting, I may have to test this. I have access to the top floor of an 8th story building and a paint shaker. You see I never did any of this as a kid, I didn't have access to the good stuff.

Imagen children with the toys we have access to as adults...wait...shoot, NOOOO

I think I just admited to being an adult. Life sucks now,

I'm going to go play with my fish tank now.

Back
Top Bottom