What is this buildup on my Co2 diffuser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't get a clear picture ATM but its on the ceramic disk of my glass Co2 diffuser in my planted tank. It is a diy system and I dose pps-pro. My paramaters are perfect
Ph 7.4
Ammo 0
No2 0
No3 10-15
Po4 0.5-1.0
Kh 8

The buildup looks similar to the fungus that buildsup on new driftwood. It is whiteish and builds up pretty quick. It looks fuzzy but feels slimy. So far I've seen no adverse affect on my fauna. Is there any way to get rid of it for good or do I just have to keep cleaning my diffuser. I've tried soaking it in a peroxide and water solution I've tried totally drying it out in the sun. It just keeps coming back. Is it just one of those things that I will leard to have to deal with untill I upgrade to pressurized or will it still do it with pressurized Co2 also.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is a byproduct of DIY CO2. I believe it is a fungus of sorts, but it's totally harmless to the fauna as you mentioned. I just clean it off during PWC's and add in some H202 on the ceramic disk. This does not occur in pressurized systems... I guess there 's a correlation with using yeast.

Unfortunately that is a byproduct of DIY CO2. I believe it is a fungus of sorts, but it's totally harmless to the fauna as you mentioned. I just clean it off during PWC's and add in some H202 on the ceramic disk. This does not occur in pressurized systems... I guess there 's a correlation with using yeast.

Cool thanks for the confirmation on what I figured it was and what I'm doing is correct I appreciate it. To bad there's no way to keep it from happening so fast.

Yeah it's bizarre that it happens, especially when I'm using a bubble counter which doubles as a gas separator. I would think that the fungus would grow from yeast seepage if gas wasn't being separated via the BC. I guess the little spores are floating around somewhere.

Ya I was using a glass bc and a glass check valve which both held water and since my bc broke I have been noticing that it builts up faster.

My setup is a 2l soda bottle, check valve, empty Gatorade bottle, valve on a T to manually relieve pressure if needed another valve to adjust flow the glass check valve then the diffuser. For my mixture I use 1tsp yeast, 4c sugar, 1tbsp molasses, 1tsp baking soda and about 6 cups water. And have co2 within 8hrs.

Wow that's a lot of sugar. I thought the recipe was for 2 cups in a 2 liter with only a half tsp of yeast. So are you using the Gatorade bottle as a gas separator / bubble counter?

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot of sugar. I thought the recipe was for 2 cups in a 2 litter with only a half tsp of yeast. So are you using the Gatorade bottle as a gas separator / bubble counter?

Yes I know its a lot but the diffuser I got needed more pressure than the 2 cup recipe would create for more than a week. Yes I have the empty Gatorade bottle with the in tube hanging half way down into it.

Are you regularly cleaning your diffuser?

Yes every few days I clean it off with a toothbrush and almost every water change I soak it in a H202/water mix at about 25% h202 and 75% water and then let it dry out really good.

Back
Top Bottom