What is this coming out of my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I need some advice. My female guppy has an orangey red translucent bubble coming out of her anus.

This is the second time it has happened, both times after eating bloodworms. The first time it happened was just after she had dropped her fry. I asked on here for advice and we all came to the conclusion that it was a prolapse. This time however, she hasn't dropped any fry, she's just stuffed herself full of bloodworms.

Could it be that she's just eaten too much, and bits are exiting to make way for a stuffed stomach?

My main problem now is that when I spotted this happening I went to put her in a floating breeder box to stop my tetras nipping at it. Unfortunately, as I was putting the breeder in the water, one of the tetras did just that.

She is now bleeding from the wound, sat on the bottom of the breeder looking very sorry for herself. I have turned the lights off to minimise stress, and will be doing pwc's to keep the water a perfect as possible.

Is there anything else I can do to help her heal? Any meds I can buy? Or do you think that she won't make it?
Thanks for help!

well now that you have her in the breeder, can you get a picture of her and the "bubble"?

Im not sure what to suggest as Im not sure what it is. Definately keep the water prestine, hopefully somone else will have more advice, GL!!

These are the best photos I can get. Sorry for the late reply, my phone spent half an hour uploading two photos only to tell me that it had an upload fail. That happened three times, after which my phone had a flying lesson and I decided to try again this morning. She doesn't appear to be any better this morning :(

Attachments

• image-221294779.jpg
    image-221294779.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 267
  • image-1369731175.jpg
    image-1369731175.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 303
Last time this happened, it went back in overnight. It hasn't this time. Ive tried feeding he a pea (her favourite) but she hasn't touched it :(

I have no idea what that is very weird but I think that she will make it. I have doe some research on it and it could literally be one of her organs hanging out. I recommend you take her to an experienced aquatic store emediatly

These are a little bit better.

Attachments

• image-1257283230.jpg
    image-1257283230.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 287
  • image-1432836597.jpg
    image-1432836597.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 251
Tetra98 said:
I have no idea what that is very weird but I think that she will make it. I have doe some research on it and it could literally be one of her organs hanging out. I recommend you take her to an experienced aquatic store emediatly

The only experienced aquatic store here closed a few months back. The only fish shops here now don't even know what cycling is!! :(

Oh geez then you will have to deal with this yourself give her sliced carrot for vitamins peas for nutrition nod if you have any sone pealed cucumber is really good. If you have another tank for her were she can just be by herself or with one of her best friends this would be better to release all the stress but in the long run we need to find out what that is?

Tetra98 said:
Oh geez then you will have to deal with this yourself give her sliced carrot for vitamins peas for nutrition nod if you have any sone pealed cucumber is really good. If you have another tank for her were she can just be by herself or with one of her best friends this would be better to release all the stress but in the long run we need to find out what that is?

I don't have another tank for her :( she's in a breeding trap floating in the main tank. She doesn't seem stressed in there, but I have turned the lights off again for her. Ive tied her with a pea but she hasn't touched it :( really worrying now, because it's so unlike her not to eat. She's such a pig!

Looks like a prolapse of her vent. I think it happened during birth when she pushed out the eggs. Eating black worms may have caused i t if she can't digest them properly and they try to go through her tract rather in tact.

Anyways, add some aquarium salt. That'll reduce the swelling enough for it to go in. In fact that's how we fix anal prolapse in humans.

Crepe said:
Looks like a prolapse of her vent. I think it happened during birth when she pushed out the eggs. Eating black worms may have caused i t if she can't digest them properly and they try to go through her tract rather in tact.

Anyways, add some aquarium salt. That'll reduce the swelling enough for it to go in. In fact that's how we fix anal prolapse in humans.

It happened before after she dropped her fry, but that was about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it went back in overnight. I don't think I can add salt with the corys, otos and tetras can I?

It's normal for fish not to eat when they're sick. When my tetra had ich, it didn't eat for 2 weeks! He's now fine, and happily swimming in the main tank. It sounds like an organ hanging out to me though. Don't treat with any meds, just salt. Just give her the most peaceful and calm environment you can, and hope she pulls through.

Homedog98 said:
It's normal for fish not to eat when they're sick. When my tetra had ich, it didn't eat for 2 weeks! He's now fine, and happily swimming in the main tank. It sounds like am organ hanging out to me though. Don't treat with any meds or salt. Just give her the most peaceful and calm environment you can, and hope she pulls through.

That's reassuring :) thanks :) if it does go back in, how long should I keep her in the breeder for? I don't know how long a tear in whatever is hanging out will take to heal. I'm worried that she'll have a wound inside her :/ I'm lucky that she doesn't freak out in the breeder!

Go with a month, and treat her with salt periodically throughout that time. That will help her heal faster.

Salt can be added, just do it very slowly over a period of days. The cories and the tetras will be fine.

While I've been in the shower, it seems to have gone back in! Maybe she was waiting for me to stop watching ;) she still looks very red and swollen in that area though, and still hasn't eaten a pea. I will try and pick up some salt today. Thanks guys. Guess I won't be feeding them anymore bloodworms :(

She's looking much better now, but still not her normal self, so will keep her in the breeder til she's back to normal. She has aborted the fry she was carrying, so I won't have to worry about the strain that dropping them would have had.

Attachments

• image-2578338736.jpg
    image-2578338736.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 156
I also wouldn't let her breed anymore, as that's probably contributing to the issue. If she's in a female only tank she'll just have to live with it for now, but if she's got males in there, she should really be moved to keep it from happening again.

Homedog98 said:
I also wouldn't let her breed anymore, as that's probably contributing to the issue. If she's in a female only tank she'll just have to live with it for now, but if she's got males in there, she should really be moved to keep it from happening again.

Yep, she's gonna be moved soon. They can store sperm for a while though can't they :/

Back
Top Bottom