What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed this forest green coloration on some of my plants. It seems to spread when it's in physical contact with another plant. I can't really tell if its an algae or some other growth.

xqi54h.jpg

Is it something I should be worried about? What can I used to kill it or lessen the amount? I have 14 ghost shrimp but haven't gotten any other algae eating fish or inverts. I'd like to keep as little chemical use as possible in my tank.

Do extra water changes and try cutting back on the time you have yur light on until it dies off. If you're not using Co2 that may help as well.

I am using diy co2 injection. I have the lights on 12hr/day only 48watts total for my 40gal breeder.

Is it something I should be worried about? What can I used to kill it or lessen the amount? I have 14 ghost shrimp but haven't gotten any other algae eating fish or inverts. I'd like to keep as little chemical use as possible in my tank.

Could be blue green algae, I have the same looking stuff growing on my driftwood. I haven't tried to battle it yet, but I've read that spot dosing excel and/or blackouts will work. I was over feeding, so I hope that fixing that will help mine.

What medication do you recommend? I am about to use 1ml hydrogen peroxide per gallon in my tank today.

I figure I have ~35gals after the driftwood and substrate.

If you know a better medication or solution I'd appreciate it. It is spreading to most of my plants and here and there on the substrate.

I'm going to be making a QT for plants to help prevent bringing stuff home from the pet shop. Plus I figure that would be easier to grow plants in a smaller tank with better lighting and co2.

Erythromycin I believe it's called. They sell it as a medication works great on gram negative bacteria which is what cyano is.
I have personally used it with success but also have fixed the issues that cause the colony stage, like better water flow, aeration with a stone when my lights are off, a balanced dosing schedule.

Then there's the blackout method.

Also, I read that Melafix might work? I got some since one of my new fish developed fin rot once in my tank so I bought that product then read that it might remove this bacteria

cyris69 said:
Is a 40 gallon considered small? I've never owned anything bigger.

No, maracyn cost around 8 bucks a pack, and need 1 packet per 10g for 5-7 days they come in packs of 8

So what are my options? I've increased flow and cut what I can from teh plants.

cyris69 said:
So what are my options? I've increased flow and cut what I can from teh plants.

Id take off asmuch as you can manually, just use a toothbrush and gently rub your plants (even stems) and it should come off in thick sheets.
And then, keep doing so and adjusting your specs, and wait.
Or if thats to much you could try a blackout, but thats not always completely effective

Just started doing 3% peroxide. 3 ml per gallon. Sure does bubble like crazy, first dose I used a syringe. Second dose I just dumped it in with filters on to mix it then turned them off. Only stuff that bubbles is the bacteria.

Since I read that peroxide dissipates in about an hour how many times a day can I use it? Also how long do I wait to turn everything back on?

The bacteria didn't turn white or anything after two doses one direct and one in the column. Also added three oto fish today to help take care of the algae elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom