What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinaml88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few tanks and i was doing a water change today and found it. In the tank is 1 male betta and 2 mystery snails. 20210311_131205~2.jpeg

Of course mystery snails reproduce. How do you think you get new mystery snails?

Perhaps you are confused with nerite snails. Their eggs will only hatch in brackish water.

I think mystery snail eggs take 2 to 3 weeks to hatch, so remove them unless you want to get into breeding snails. They will harden over time, so if they are still soft you know they havent been there long.

Ok. Ya the fs i got them from said they wouldn't reproduce in a home freashwater aquarium. Thats where i got lost. Ill take them out. I dont need 100 new snails. [emoji28] im now debating if i want to make it an experience for my daughter though. I have another tank i can move my betta to. How hard would it be to take care of them if i left it be?
Of course mystery snails reproduce. How do you think you get new mystery snails?

Perhaps you are confused with nerite snails. Their eggs will only hatch in brackish water.

I think mystery snail eggs take 2 to 3 weeks to hatch, so remove them unless you want to get into breeding snails. They will harden over time, so if they are still soft you know they havent been there long.

Ive never kept mystery snails, but i understand that its often difficult to get the eggs to hatch, so that might be what your store meant.

At least you know now that you have 1m and 1f snail.

[emoji23] true. I might leave them be and see what happens

Ive thought of breeding snails to make a little pocket money. Last time i was looking for nerite snails i ended up driving all round the county looking for them because my usual stores didn't have any, so there must be some demand.

Surely snails cant be that difficult to breed. My garden is full of them.

I dont know. If i end having someone who buys them later ill let you know. I can always take them to my lfs. They take any unwanted aquatic animal. You dont get paid for them but then i wont have to worry about them later.

Ive thought of breeding snails to make a little pocket money. Last time i was looking for nerite snails i ended up driving all round the county looking for them because my usual stores didn't have any, so there must be some demand.

Surely snails cant be that difficult to breed. My garden is full of them.
They breed really slow. [emoji222]

Well i had taken my betta out of that tank and let it sit unused since i last posted. It looked they they dried up and i was like oh well. Then i noticed more in my new tank. Now i know which snail is the problem. [emoji23]. Then i looked at the old tank and it was gone when it was there yesterday and i had a ton of baby snails. [emoji54] i decided to seal the tank off for now. Dont need them all over the place. But my daughter is going to be excited tomorrow to see them. Sorry tank is so dirty its been sitting untouched. 20210319_221123.jpg

FYI a breeding pair can lay a clutch of eggs twice a week (48 hrs apart) every week. Just speaking from experience. Many people don't have a friendly environment for hatching, but you do, so if you can find buyers you'd be a snail tycoon at 50-100 of them in every clutch.

FYI a breeding pair can lay a clutch of eggs twice a week (48 hrs apart) every week. Just speaking from experience. Many people don't have a friendly environment for hatching, but you do, so if you can find buyers you'd be a snail tycoon at 50-100 of them in every clutch.
I didnt even think they would hatch. You can find them all over the place here. This is just my little 10g tank my betta was in when i noticed it. I dont even know where i can sell them.

So when you go to remove eggs (they'll always be at the top, at the water line or on the lid, and done at night) you'll be able to tell how old they are by how soft. If laid last night or less than 24 hrs they can be wiped off with a paper towel. If they have a crust and are sticking, they're older. If they're really hard to remove use a butter knife or some such. That would mean they've been there for a week or more. P.S. If you or someone you know have goldfish, they enjoy eating the eggs. Gross, i know. But if you tire of the constant cycle of snail hatchings...

Back
Top Bottom