What is Wrong With My Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently lost two of my peppered corys - one went very white and then perked up before passing away.
Then it's friend eded up with a bent spine, lesion on its head and I had to euthanise it.
I did a 50% water change yesterday treated with prime, I must admit I forgot to turn te filter back on for a couple of hours but had two air stripes running (phew)
This morning one of my tri lined cories is lying on his side rapid breathing.
My test results are:
Ammo 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

I've recently run a course of myxazin for te other corys.
No other fish exhibiting signs of illness my ottos ad guppies are great.

I'm concerned I have a nasty disease in there :( and I don't have a quarantine tank.

Any ideas??

Sadly the tri lined died. No obvious marks on his body or around the gills??
What is going on? I am worried :(

I've been looking and am hoping it's not columnaris? But wouldn't the fish all get sick the same time?
Is there anything that could just affect my corys?

If none of your other fish are sick I would just watch them closely. Do you have any pictures of the ill fish? I have observed corys turn white in the past, but I must admit I don't know why and it did not kill them.

No I didn't take pics :(
my first one lost all it's colour and was lethargic. Pwc later he perked up for a few days then died.
The next one got a bent spine and when i euthanised him I could see his tummy was sunken in.
Then guy today had seemed fine, just keeled over!
I'm at a loss :(

What are you feeding the corys? Maybe they weren't getting enough oxygen... what is the temp of the water?

They have catfish pellets and alge wafers. The water is 80f where it always has been. There are two airstrips in the tank also.
I was worried about a parasite or something but there has been no dodgy poop!

Yes I wish I knew what was wrong (if anything) with them. I knew they didn't like the new plant setup so I'm lookin to change that - plus I need to up the numbers in the group now to make them more secure but don't want to add any if there is an illness...

Did you remove the carbon (if any) from your filter before using the myxazin?

Corys can be very sensitive. I've had one or two up and die on me with no outward symptoms that I could decipher. I believe it's recommended to use 1/2 dose of this med with corys.

Yes I removed the carbon but used full dose! Luckily I did a big water change yest so hopefully would have removed any trace of the med left. Should I get a couple more to make them feel more secure?

I would do 50% each day. Doing one water change still leaves the medication in. Some people feel it's not removed until a good 10 water changes later, along with the help of the carbon.

Fab I'll do another couple over the next few days. When would you start restocking the cories? They ate either in the rear corner of the tank or under the hollow log :(

Did you replace your carbon?

I would wait, in all honesty, for at least 2 weeks. You need to be sure your parameters are steady and there is no illness or trace of meds left in the tank.

I will put it bk in tonight when I do a water change, they all looked ok when i checked them before work - but maybe a different story when I get home!

Oh dear this seems to be getting worse, I now have a Cory who is acting the way she does when laying eggs but moving slower and not laying eggs :(
Ill be shooting out tomorrow to try and find a different med that may help (her gills are looking slightly red but that may be me looking too hard)
I hope there are no casualties over night and that my maracyn hurries up and arrives from the US soon

Well def something up one of my seemingly healthy pandas has lost all it's colour and has one completely cloudy eye. I have started treating with Anti parasite stuff untill my maracyn shipment comes. Luckily so far my guppies and ottos are well! :(

Sadly my panda didn't make it, wish I knew what was wrong with them. Luckily it's not spreading to the other species!

Ok I've done some research as 2 of my corys now have bent spines ad one has fungus on his body. I'm thinking I may have fish tb?? Or could the myaxzin have caused this?

Does anyone have any advice/experience?

Unfortunately, it does sound like fish tb could be an option. Your fish had the loss of color, lesions, and the bent spines. Skeletal deformities often seem to be a key in diagnosing tb.
You can try sending a fish body to a lab to confirm it. I don't personally know of any other way to confirm tb for sure.
If it tb, be careful about putting your hands in the tank since you can catch it.
Hopefully its something else though. The only thing I know of that can help treat fish tb is Kanamycin.
The medication wouldn't have caused their spines to bend. I will keep looking around to see if I see any other options though.

Back
Top Bottom