What is Wrong With My Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure about the orange spot on the guppy. Sometimes things like that can be a symptom of poor water quality, but I don't think that is that case here since you said your water parameters were good.
What about false neon tetra disease? Its very similar to neon tetra disease, but its caused by bacteria. Its not something that I have heard too much about, but it has could be a possibility. A bacterial cause is much more likely than TB anyways, and it seems to fit the symptoms. Try googling that and see if you think it might fit. One benefit is that FNTD can be treated with antibiotics, the internet says maracyn is your best bet, but if it reaches the point where the spine starts to curve, its likely they won't make it.

Yes I was thinking of false neon tetra too. I'm Due to do te 2nd dose of the interpret treatment tomorrow but it's not real anti biotics.
My maracyn came today I have maracyn two and maracyn plus; do you think it would be better to do a water change tomorrow and start maracyn treatment and if so which one should I use first?

What is the treatment you are due for? I would start the maracyn asap, but you of course need to make sure you are not crossing your medications.

Hmmm I've just done some quick reading and I think I'll go with a large water change tomorrow and start treatment with maracyn I just have no clue which one to use - 2 or plus?

Yes my water parameters are great ammo 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 tested them this morning - my ph is usually 7.6

Thanks coursair I just cant decide which one would be best! I shall do some reading when I get home

absolutangel04 said:
What is the treatment you are due for? I would start the maracyn asap, but you of course need to make sure you are not crossing your medications.

Sorry I didn't see this post, it's the interpret anti internal bacteria. It doesn't have antibiotics in as we can't get medicated stuff over the counter here. I shall go straight in with the maracyn in the morning after a big water change

Thanks, I'm torn between which med to use. I have maracyn 2 and maracyn plus - I'm thinking to use the plus as it has two antibiotics in it rather than just the one in maracyn 2? Any thoughts

I am sorry, but I honestly have no idea. I have never had to use it before. The things I read about FNTD all just said, "maracyn." From your description, I would think the 2 plus would be better since the disease seems to have taken a pretty good hold, but thats just my guess. Hopefully somebody else knows.

Thanks that's what I was thinking I hink my main tank is in more need than my betta.
Thanks again for all your help

I believe that false neon tetra disease is caused by gram positive bacteria and to my understanding that type of bacteria doesn't require as strong of medication to eradicate. So you might be doing your fish a favor by using the regular maracyn.

Do you mean maracyn or maracyn 2 ? I'm getting confused with all these different things

Maracyn is Erthromyacin (gram positive) and Maracyn II is Minicycline, which is , I believe a tetracycline family drug, which are gram negative. Most fish diseases are gram negative, and the two drugs can be used together.
It is very difficult to diagnose most fish diseases, especially internal ones, and treatment is often a guess. As well, more often than not, it is cheaper to buy new fish than to treat ones that will more likely than not, die anyway. that may be sad, but it is the reality of the situation. Personally, I have found both Maracyn and Maracyn II to be next to useless in ant diseases i have tried to treat.The only antibiotic I have really had any luck with is Kanamyacin, at the 3 times the package dose. That is the other issue. The package doses are often too low to be effective.

Unfortunately antibiotics are difficult to come by in the uk I have maracyn 2 and maracyn plus to use

Ok maracyn plus treatment started. My panda is looking quite poorly and has lost most of his tail fin :( the tri lined seems ok but very skittish and hiding.
Fingers crossed they make it through the treatment phase and then I can start thinking about finding them some friends :)

Ok so treatment finished yesterday and my sole remaining Cory seems good if not very shy which I suppose is to be expected.
The lump on my guppy also seems to have disappeared.
I have to add my new guppies into the tank tomorrow as it looks like my betta has fancied one for lunch?
What I was wondering is how long befor I get friends for my Cory I think he needs them to feel secure

I am honestly not sure, but I would wait at least a couple of weeks.
Glad to hear the remaining fish are doing better though. Hopefully got rid of it. :)

Thanks absolutangel you've been a great help. It's mad how quickly stuff can spread - I'll move the guppies over today and watch them closely then see, my remaining Cory just hides all the time :(

No problem. I am glad we got it figured out!
Cories do of course like groups, as you can see from his behavior, but they aren't the sort of fish that will stress itself to death if its alone. I know its hard to see him less active, but he should be fine for a couple of weeks so you can make sure everybody is ok. After all, it wouldn't do him any good if you introduced some friends who ended up getting sick and dying too. Just keep an eye on him, but he should be fine and he will have some buddies soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom