What killed my red cherry shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFixation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5gal fluval spec aquarium with a betta, a nerite snail, and until this afternoon, about 20 red cherry shrimp.

I bought the shrimp 2 days ago, and as of this morning, they seemed fine. When I got home from work today, the shrimp were all dead. ALL OF THEM. :cry:

I quickly tested the water: pH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0. Temp = 78. I have a Purigen thingy in the filter.

What. The. HECK.

My only guess at this point is that there must be a toxin in the water which killed them. There does seem to be a lot (A LOT) of stringy clear/white bacterial (I assume) slime throughout the tank and on the surface of the water. I thought they'd eat it. Apparently it killed them. NOOOOOOOO!!!

What can I do???

Update: I'm thinking that the surface slime may have suffocated them. The betta can't tolerate much current, so I guess I'm getting an air pump and stone. Think that'll fix it?

might help with the symptom but you'll need to figure out what caused the slime... that's not normal. What kind of slime are we talking here?

The betta and the nerite still alive?

Yes, the betta and nerite are still alive, but the nerite is hanging out near the surface more than usual.

the nerite is hanging out near the surface more than usual.

can sometimes be a sign of water quality issues.

As far as the surface scum, I get a surface scum each time I lose a shrimp. Even when everything is fine water quality wise and I just lose the occasional adult (probably just the end of their lifespan.) So that could be an effect of the shrimp loss rather than a cause.

I'm sorry to hear this. With parameters like that and a snail towards the top I'd guess lack of oxygen. The airstone should help. I have almost 0 flow in my 5.5 shrimp tank and without the airstone I don't get enough oxygen exchange.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update: I'm thinking that the surface slime may have suffocated them. The betta can't tolerate much current, so I guess I'm getting an air pump and stone. Think that'll fix it?

I would recommend surface agitation or regularly skimming the biofilm out. Whilst surface biofilm has its plus sides (aids floating plants, feeds snails, other organisms) it can also be home to many other unwanted bacteria.

Feed less and keep the water free from organic waste.

Sorry to hear about the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom