what kind of anenome is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmartcwby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lfs said long tentacle, but doesn't look like pics of what I see online.

ForumRunner_20120216_204030.jpg

It look likes....

Lfs said long tentacle, but doesn't look like pics of what I see online.

View attachment 77062

...it's either a florida Condylactus or a Haitian Pink Tip. I'm leaning to the condy because HPTs usually have a darker red foot (but not always) and the picture may not acurately show it's color. It's def not a pacific LT anemone. I'd go back to the store and demand a refund for the difference.

Hope this helps...(y)

if it is a condy clown fosh wont host it. And it has been known to eat fish. lol

I bought one a year ago before knowing any better and ended up returning mine. It was more trouble, worry and hassle to have one. they also can get huge!

carey said:
if it is a condy clown fosh wont host it. And it has been known to eat fish. lol

I bought one a year ago before knowing any better and ended up returning mine. It was more trouble, worry and hassle to have one. they also can get huge!

Killed my domino damsel ;(

I only paid $30 for it. Its very pretty, but its getting annoying. Tentacles reaching too far in my little 29 biocube. I keep having to move coral frags when it moves around!

kmartcwby said:
I only paid $30 for it. Its very pretty, but its getting annoying. Tentacles reaching too far in my little 29 biocube. I keep having to move coral frags when it moves around!

Lol it's $5 at petco

You may want to ...

You may want to rethink an anemone at all if your tank is that small. Under the best conditions, most anemonies will get big. (I once got a carpet anemone out of Indonesia that stretched out and filled up a 20 long tank. It weighed 5 lbs with no water!) You may want to switch to Atlantic Rock anemonies or Curlyque anemonies as they don't get real big or have long tenticles. They can, however, kill fish.

If this is a HPT, I've had numerous fish use them as a host. Maroon clowns and Domino Damsels routinely use them as they resemble Ritteri and bubble anemonies.
As for the price, a Condy is a relatively inexpensive anemone compared to a Pacific LT anemone. The store should be refunding you the difference in the 2 prices because you deffinitely did not get what you paid for. It's only right. That's just my opinion ;)

Andy Sager said:
You may want to rethink an anemone at all if your tank is that small. Under the best conditions, most anemonies will get big. (I once got a carpet anemone out of Indonesia that stretched out and filled up a 20 long tank. It weighed 5 lbs with no water!) You may want to switch to Atlantic Rock anemonies or Curlyque anemonies as they don't get real big or have long tenticles. They can, however, kill fish.

If this is a HPT, I've had numerous fish use them as a host. Maroon clowns and Domino Damsels routinely use them as they resemble Ritteri and bubble anemonies.
As for the price, a Condy is a relatively inexpensive anemone compared to a Pacific LT anemone. The store should be refunding you the difference in the 2 prices because you deffinitely did not get what you paid for. It's only right. That's just my opinion ;)

My domino damsel which I thought was hosting it was killed by it.

It happens

My domino damsel which I thought was hosting it was killed by it.

I guess your anemone just got hungrier one day :facepalm:

I once saw a Blue Hippo tang inside a HPT. He was rubbing against the tenticles and acting just like a clownfish would have. The wholesaler kept this "pair" for a week before selling the two so the anemone wasn't trying to eat the tang. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I'd call it a fish story :brows:

Domino damsels in the wild routinely use anemonies as hosts. Yours just chose the wrong host I guess. :fish2::fish2::fish2:

What about a rose anenome? Those I've seen seem to have small tentacles.

Andy Sager said:
I guess your anemone just got hungrier one day :facepalm:

I once saw a Blue Hippo tang inside a HPT. He was rubbing against the tenticles and acting just like a clownfish would have. The wholesaler kept this "pair" for a week before selling the two so the anemone wasn't trying to eat the tang. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I'd call it a fish story :brows:

Domino damsels in the wild routinely use anemonies as hosts. Yours just chose the wrong host I guess. :fish2::fish2::fish2:

Idk....it had bubbly skin as if it was stung or burned

Need more info

What about a rose anenome? Those I've seen seem to have small tentacles.

Unfortunately, common names can be misleading. I know of a rose anemone that is a cold water anemone and grows quite large. You could just be looking at a small one of those which could lead to a problem down the line. You'd need to give me the latin name so I can better advise.

Sorry :(

Andy Sager said:
Unfortunately, common names can be misleading. I know of a rose anemone that is a cold water anemone and grows quite large. You could just be looking at a small one of those which could lead to a problem down the line. You'd need to give me the latin name so I can better advise.

Sorry :(

Entacmaea quadricolor

I know this one :D

Entacmaea quadricolor

You see what I mean about common names. We call this a bubble anemone. You probably just saw a pink colored one so the store or wholesaler called it a rose anemone.
Here's the deal, Bubbles grow to almost 12" in diameter. If you don't want an anemone that big, this is not a good choice. (They do make great host anemonies tho ;))

What would the chances be of a condy eating a lawnmower blennie? I had one disappear on me a few weeks ago, never found a corpse.

You see what I mean about common names. We call this a bubble anemone. You probably just saw a pink colored one so the store or wholesaler called it a rose anemone.
Here's the deal, Bubbles grow to almost 12" in diameter. If you don't want an anemone that big, this is not a good choice. (They do make great host anemonies tho ;))

BTAs are simple to cut and after a week of healing, you can sell one of them off to your LFS for $ or credit.

Back
Top Bottom