what kind of crab is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi. i found this crab while aquascaping my cycling 55 gal fowlr tank.
he is kinda red or orange and a lil hairy, when he is scared he tucks in all his legs and kinda looks like a rock, iv searched and cant find a pic of this kind of crab some are close but he does not have black claws . i didnt think there was anything living in there cause of the cycle. high ammo,and nitrites and such.. but here is the best 2 pics out of 13 i got of him, thank you

bro...it maybe already inside your live rock...i also found one in my LR while doing water cycle but it wont live long enough in my tank...some said its a hitchhikers which might be bad for corals....IDK

yeah i thought it was a hitch hicker , but all the live rock in that tank was stores in 40 dagree water cause i was told it would live..WRONG!! thanks lfs guy... and after that cycle it should have died .. but iv put him in my sump untill i finish scaping the tank,and find out what he is, good or bad

looks like a xanthid crab to me. there are many species. i doubt he's reef safe, as no crabs really are 100% reef safe. i would keep him alive in the sump though. he can't do any harm down there.
btw, black claws or not, all crabs are opportunistic feeders.

I have to agree with Doug. No crab is 100% reef-safe. I can't tell what kind of crab it is from the photo but if it isn't an emerald, porceline, or acro crab I would not risk it in any tank (reef or fowlr). I have a nasty xanthid crab that I have been trying to catch for a month and I still can't get him out. Once you have it out never, ever, put it back into the display tank.

Leave him in the sump or in the soup.

side note, look for a macro setting on your phone or camera. sometimes it is marked by a flower.

thanks, iv been wanting to ask how you guys get such good pics up close on small things.. ill look 4 it, hope i can figure it out

think i firured it out

i think i got the macro thing. it was rite in front of me, after looking in all the settings, it was a button. and it does now look like he has black claws with white tips

think i figured it out

i think i got the macro thing. it was rite in front of me, after looking in all the settings, it was a button. and it does now look like he has black claws with white tips

oopps i tryed to fix the title and gave me a new post... sory

Definitely not a reef-safe crab. If you have a fowlr setup he might be fine for a while but with those claws he could snatch a sleeping fish. I would either put him in the sump or trade him. There might be someone local who wants to feed their mantis or another crustacean eater

no i am not going to kill him.. i would not kill anything that i didn't like.

he lives in the fuge. but what will he eat? and i run the fuge light 24-7 will that bug him?

run the refugium opposite the DT. then he'll still get a night time and your ph will still be stable.
he'll find stuff to eat. plenty of food particles fall down the drains and end up in the sump.
i once found a small crab, about the size of a pencil eraser on an sps colony i got in. i was in the habit (and still am) of trying not to kill anything i forced into captivity, so i tossed him in the sump.
about a year later i looked down in the skimmer area and was shocked to see this:
img_1185869_0_a4ec999a71f235dfd19339e851d8e7c5.jpg

it turns out he's a "brown egg crab", which is on the endangered species list in singapore.
he's almost the diameter of a coke can in that pic.

Wow! I have a red-eye xanthid crab that I caught and put into my sump. He hasn't grown too much in the past year. As well, I still have another predatory xanthid crab that I have been trying to catch in the display tank. He's not as big as that brown egg crab. He was in the same whole all the time so I tried the bait in a glass trick but since putting the glass in I haven't seen him around the same hole anymore.

Back
Top Bottom