What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countrygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi There
I got this fish at a lfs and was told it was one kind of fish, which I promptly looked up on the internet. That fish looked nothing like it. Anyone know what kind of fish this is?

Looks like a Bolivian Ram--a type of dwarf cichlid from South America. It is not colored up yet.
What did the LFS call it?

Looks like a german or blue ram. Microgeophagus ramirezi

ram.jpg

A Geophagus Balzanii I say noway his snout is not rounded like that, it is kindof pointed as you can see he has two blue stripes horizontally under his eye, a black stripe vertically through his eye and his front bottom fins have a blue stripe down them. The blue coloration in the fin and stripes is irridescent like, almost like it would glow in the dark. When he gets stressed he turns very dark, but is almost whitish yellow when he is happy with the black dot far back on his side. He changes colors fast

he is about 3 inches in body length not counting his fins. I think he is two big to be a german blue but I think he could be a Bolivian ram

It is a Bolivian Ram. I remember looking at those while i was fooling around at work. :D

Looks good. Wow, I have never seen, nor heard of this cichlid. Sounds like it will need special water conditions and can be aggressive. What other fish do you have in the tank with it?

well he was originally intended for my 250 gallon which houses, 1 motoro stingray, 1 leopoldi stingray, 1 moonlight gorami, 2 blue acara, 2 fire eels, 2 blue gouramis, 2 brichardi, 2 red irian rainbows, 3 bala sharks and 6 congo tetras. BUT he was territorial and kind of aggressive towards the acaras. Then I took him out of there and put him in a 15 gallon tank that is supposed to be my feeder tank. It is not lighted so I did not like him in there. I then moved him to my sons 30 gallon tank which houses, 1 red-tailed black shark, 1 irridescent shark, 1 bala shark, 1 berney's shark, 1 pictus cat, 1 chinese algae eater, 1 pleco, 2 weather loaches. There were 3 angelfish in ther too, but now two are dead, probably thanks to Spike but he seems to not bother anyone else and seems happy in there. My sons tank is not big enough for all these fish though so I wanted to put him back in the big tank, but now I am scared to do that. I don't want him to terrorize those fish

Back
Top Bottom