What kind of tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this fish for cycling my tank. I know they are schooling tetras but which kind? Thanks.

looks like a black skirt tetra to me. and i'm pretty sure all tetras are schooling fish. they are also very sensitive to water conditions so probably not the best fish to put in an uncycled tank. make sure you are doing daily PWC's to keep ammonia and nitrite closest to 0 as possible. good luck! they're pretty fish!

Definitely Black skirts. How many did you purchase? I'd recommend a school of no less than 7. They love to swim together and the larger the group, the happier they are.

Idk if agree with the previous posters comment about them being very sensitive, However I really wouldn't recommend adding more fish to your tank until it's finished cycling. How were you water parameters today?

Coleallensmom said:
Definitely Black skirts. How many did you purchase? I'd recommend a school of no less than 7. They love to swim together and the larger the group, the happier they are.

Idk if agree with the previous posters comment about them being very sensitive, However I really wouldn't recommend adding more fish to your tank until it's finished cycling. How were you water parameters today?

Hello colleallensmom! :) I bought 5. So far I have 5 tetras, 2 albino bristlenose and a BGKF. I just did a 50% PWC and will test in a couple hours. :)

HN1 said:
Except how to do it without harming fish apparently.

Well, I'm not doing a fish less cycle. I just learned everything about it a few days ago. When I started the cycling I didn't even know there is a fish less cycle. Because petsmart told me to add fish after a week of letting it run empty. I was never told there was another option. Too late. Fishes are doing fine. They look happy. None perished.

Well, I'm not doing a fish less cycle. I just learned everything about it a few days ago. When I started the cycling I didn't even know there is a fish less cycle. Because petsmart told me to add fish after a week of letting it run empty. I was never told there was another option. Too late. Fishes are doing fine. They look happy. None perished.

Here's my problem with this. The fish are "doing fine". How do you know that? They haven't perished YET. Those blackskirts should live at least two - three years. Tell us how they are in a year or so and we'll know if they were damaged or not. I've been in the hobby for awhile and kept hundreds of tanks of all types and I wouldn't dream to state that I know all about cycling even now. The advice you got from Petsmart is wrong. Period. Others have tried to offer you better more detailed alternatives, but you choose to go with the one that provides you the most immediate gratification. This is just my view from reading. I started off very wrong as well. Based on the advice I got from chain stores, I spent a fortune and killed a lot of fish. Then I stopped waiting for people to tell me things and sought out my own information. You sought out the information and our wonderful members have given great advice. Now what you do with that advice is up to you.

HN1 said:
Here's my problem with this. The fish are "doing fine". How do you know that? They haven't perished YET. Those blackskirts should live at least two - three years. Tell us how they are in a year or so and we'll know if they were damaged or not. I've been in the hobby for awhile and kept hundreds of tanks of all types and I wouldn't dream to state that I know all about cycling even now. The advice you got from Petsmart is wrong. Period. Others have tried to offer you better more detailed alternatives, but you choose to go with the one that provides you the most immediate gratification. This is just my view from reading. I started off very wrong as well. Based on the advice I got from chain stores, I spent a fortune and killed a lot of fish. Then I stopped waiting for people to tell me things and sought out my own information. You sought out the information and our wonderful members have given great advice. Now what you do with that advice is up to you.

Maybe I don't know everything about cycling. I learned everything that I know about it from the helpful members here that gave me great advice and doing exactly what they told me to do. I also learned about the cycle(the link that was given above) from other members that's why I already know about it. It was wrong of me to say I know everything about cycling. I learned not to listen from aquarium store workers for they just want to make a sale disregarding the safety of the fish. That's why I am glad to have joined this forum and asking all my questions here instead of the pet stores. I would have chosen the fish less cycle if I was informed by the people I asked about cycling. For the fishes that I have now that maybe have been damaged by the cycle, I will for sure take care of them and make sure the water is healthy for them for the remaining of their lives. I care for my fishes and I didn't mean to do a fish-in cycle. I didn't know there was another option. Now, if I get a new tank and for sure I will. I will do a fish less cycle.

Reactions: HN1
Hello colleallensmom! :) I bought 5. So far I have 5 tetras, 2 albino bristlenose and a BGKF. I just did a 50% PWC and will test in a couple hours. :)

Ahh..ok! I was under the assumption that these were new..I do remember now that you had previously mentioned having "tetras".

The members here may seem tough, but they are just looking out for your fish. Many aquarists start out knowing little (or nothing!) about tank cycling. What is most important is that you do your best from here on out to keep your water parameters at the safest level possible for your fish.

Coleallensmom said:
Ahh..ok! I was under the assumption that these were new..I do remember now that you had previously mentioned having "tetras".

The members here may seem tough, but they are just looking out for your fish. Many aquarists start out knowing little (or nothing!) about tank cycling. What is most important is that you do your best from here on out to keep your water parameters at the safest level possible for your fish.

The reason I have these fishes is I was told to already buy the fish that I want to keep.

I didn't know anything right about cycling until I joined this forum. I am giving my best and following all advices to give a wonderful and healthy environment(?) for my fishes. Thanks.

Coleallensmom said:
Keep that mind set and you will be ok! You've certainly proved willing to follow advice given.

I will. Thank you.

roy,

I am sorry and thank you very much. It seems as though I may have jumped to an assumption. I re-read some of your other posts and it's now clear to me that I assumed the worst. I'm sorry for that and thank you for restoring my faith! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

HN1 said:
roy,

I am sorry and thank you very much. It seems as though I may have jumped to an assumption. I re-read some of your other posts and it's now clear to me that I assumed the worst. I'm sorry for that and thank you for restoring my faith! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

No sweat. I know that you were just worried about the fishes. I will not disappoint you guys. I will take good care of my fishes. I like getting new information and advices. That's another way to learn. Thanks.

I care for my fishes and I didn't mean to do a fish-in cycle. I didn't know there was another option. Now, if I get a new tank and for sure I will. I will do a fish less cycle.

actually, if you get a new tank in the future you can just seed it from your existing tank.

Back
Top Bottom