What kinda wrasse is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kinda wrasse is this?

Attachments

• image-3738714635.jpg
    image-3738714635.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1227091285.jpg
    image-1227091285.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3150971925.jpg
    image-3150971925.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 111
Tony Gill said:
It looks like a slippery dick - Halichoeres bivittatus.

Tony

Is that really a wrasse? That's funny...

Yes, that's really what it's called. I recall a decade or so back, an American Fisheries Society's committee that had been set up to standardize common names of North American fishes decided "slippery dick" was inappropriate and instead wanted to introduce a new common name for the species. If I recall correctly, the alternative name that was suggested was "Elusive Richard". I'm not sure it ever made it past the draft stage, but in any case it was never adopted in the final list. So Slippery Dick it is.

Tony Gill said:
Yes, that's really what it's called. I recall a decade or so back, an American Fisheries Society's committee that had been set up to standardize common names of North American fishes decided "slippery dick" was inappropriate and instead wanted to introduce a new common name for the species. If I recall correctly, the alternative name that was suggested was "Elusive Richard". I'm not sure it ever made it past the draft stage, but in any case it was never adopted in the final list. So Slippery Dick it is.

Thanks Tony!
By chance do you know anything about this said "dick"? He has slaughtered a small chromis already...

I'm not too familiar with the species as an aquarium fish, but a quick search on the internet suggests that it is not the most ideal of species to keep. It gets reasonably large (about 8 inches), and is predatory, feeding on small fishes, crustaceans, echinoderms, molluscs and bristle worms. It would probably do fine with similar sized fishes though.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
I'm not too familiar with the species as an aquarium fish, but a quick search on the internet suggests that it is not the most ideal of species to keep. It gets reasonably large (about 8 inches), and is predatory, feeding on small fishes, crustaceans, echinoderms, molluscs and bristle worms. It would probably do fine with similar sized fishes though.

Tony

Thanks Tony.. Your awesome!

Back
Top Bottom