What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was an old show on basic cable called, "The Nature Nut" and I happened to catch one episode about guppies. From then on I was hooked. Something about how complex and yet simple they were captured my passion and hasn't let it go.

I wanted a freshwater tank at first because it was affordable but now I like havin a freshwater aquarium because its a predator tank and I love watching them eat Rosies and gold fish haha

About three years ago I threw a couple fifteen cent goldfish in a small little backyard pond I've had ever since I lived in my house. Well my friend wanted to see if those goldfish were still there in the algae infested pond. We dug up three fish and one was small but had a huge stomach. After doing research she was pregnant! We had fry and I was so heaped up on fish care and stuff so I got a small guppy and threw it in a bowl. Of course I didn't know that was abuse inact I didn't know anything about fish... But then I got addicted... When my dads friend from work was giving away a 29 gal I begged and pleaded for days to my mom who technically banned fish from the house.... She told us that she would move out of our house if I moved that aquarium in the house... And so my dad truly knew I wanted that aquarium so he went against my mom and we took care of that thing and tried to get my mom to like it,.. She still doesn't but she doesn't care anymore and she never did move out....

My boyfriend offered to buy me one (more for himself than me I think :p) now I'm in love and he doesn't get a say lol

Was getting into the hobbie as a kid, then got out of it when I joined the military 95-05. Picked it up after I got discharged, and been enjoying it ever since. Started with a 10gal starter setup, progressed to a 29 gal tank with my first canister filter. Now maintaining and enjoying a 50gal freshwater with an API filstar xp canister filter.

One of my buddys years ago had a salt...and it was verry time consuming, so we got a lil betta 2.5 gal...then my kids wanted more and more and more....I didn't know the rules of fw yet so we crammed 2 corys and 2 guppies in there with him...yea petsmart screwed me advice wise...so we went to upgrade and found the 55 on sale, went that route, and the only guys to survive was the 2 corys...but now have 4 corys (2 albino, 2 peppered) and 2 dalmation mollies, found a local fish store..YAY! And got 4 green barbs siting in an quairintine tank waiting for my 55 to cycle down and relax....

I somehow wound up on this website, saw rivercat's 220g, and boom, addiction.

I am new to this site but have always been inspired by what people have on here. My first fish was a betta in fourth grade and then a 10 gallon that I got in sixth but have now. My dad had fish and he was the one that introduced me to the hobby. At one point after watching the tv show Tanked I was set on getting a saltwater fish tank but did not have the money (and permission haha). I plan on soon getting another 10 gallon set up as a planted tank and hopefully a 55 gallon tank sometime this year. But i just love the little underwater habitats and all the really cool fish.

When I was about 6 or 7 my Mom would take me to my aunts office where she did taxes, she had a beautiful ten gallon setup with guppies, I would stare at it the whole time. Needless to say that I blame her for my addiction! ;)

I was super depressed one day and wondered around petsmart looking at fish. I wanted something to take care of, to feel like I was needed. My apartment doesn't allows anything other than fish or things kept in tanks. So a fish would be perfect. So randomly I bought a 10 gallon tank and all the stuff with it, a generic filter, food, a dechlorinator, gravel and decor... Now 5-6 months later he went from 1 inch to 5 inches!! He's a cute "little" goldfish :)

I clean his current aquarium every week. Just bought a 30 gallon today to upgrade to! Hopefully he enjoys his new awesome epic humongous new home!

My boyfriend offered to buy me one (more for himself than me I think :p) now I'm in love and he doesn't get a say lol

When my boyfriend comes over for our weekly dinner/movie night he likes to watch my fish swim around :p lol

My parents got me an aquarium when I was in 7 or so.

I first saw a betta on a desk in a bank. Poor thing was in a vase with a lily on top. :rolleyes: I ran out an bought two, housed in separate 2g tanks. I love bettas because they have so much personality and like to bond and play with their people.

I want a planted tank ASAP because of their beauty. I picked up the hobby of land gardening last year, now I want a water garden in my house.

I got interested in freshwater aquariums after buying a betta to keep me company in college (I was a VERY lonely freshman). He started out in a 1 gallon bowl before I realized that it wasn't the best environment for him, so I started looking into different tanks. Wanting a better environment for my fish spurred my interest in aquariums. I'm currently really into cherry shrimp and aquarium plants.

I got interested in freshwater aquariums after buying a betta to keep me company in college (I was a VERY lonely freshman). He started out in a 1 gallon bowl before I realized that it wasn't the best environment for him, so I started looking into different tanks. Wanting a better environment for my fish spurred my interest in aquariums. I'm currently really into cherry shrimp and aquarium plants.
Hey, HomeGirl! I'm from Baker/Baton Rouge!

I'm getting two bettas tomorrow so I'm working on their tanks - 8g heated and cycled - now.

Like you, I like planted tanks and shrimp so that's my nest big project after this.

My grandkids and I go to my neighbors house to see her fish tanks. I wanted to buy a tank so bad after seeing them but they cost so much I couldn't do it. So we just enjoyed looking at hers. Then one day she took us to her garage and pulled a blanket off a big fish tank. She gave it to me. It's all mine. I don't have fish yet but hope to get started asap. I think she gave me this tank to get me and the grandkids out of her hair. Ha ha

My father kept an aquarium when I was a kid. When I moved in with my now husband, his roommate kept a lot of exotic freshwater fish like armored cats and green spotted puffers, a dragon loach, a rope fish and even a Fahaka puffer once. So I though I would try my hand at a simple aquarium. Did a 10 gallon with danios and a red rainbow shark. Eventually the danios all died and I was left with a pretty big rainbow shark. It was clear he was the only guy I could keep in that tank. That rainbow lived for years and made me love aquariums! I kinda miss him. If I ever upgrade my 20 gallon to a 29 I will probably get another rainbow.

My parents got a 55 gallon tank when I was 10, and made it fresh. I loved watching the fish swim around and it helped me relax. I convinced my now husband to let me get a 10 gallon, a friend of his parents told us we could have her 55 gallon for free, Went picked it up and now my little betta that was in a measly 2,5 gal by himself is enjoying swimming around with some platys, a red tip shark and a plecostomus, He also is enjoying killing off my ghost shrimp while I am not home... he knows ill catch him if he does it while I am here. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom