What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a little 10g, to replace the dead betta that suicided from his 1g bowl.

So I took a look on google images, and it give me the idea to have a hightech planted 30g.

29g

2x39W T5HO 6700K°

Pressurized CO2 system with 5lb cylinder.

Eheim 2213 for filtration

Now it's a jungle.

835428IMG18022.jpg

Your tank is sooo beautiful... I have been trying to add plants to give my tank a similar look...

Well I went to SeaWorld and l fell in love with the ocean and killer whales. I really wanted a saltwater, but my mom wouldn't let me until I proved I could take care of one.

I'm a freshmen in highschool and I recently fractured a vertebrae in my back and had nothing to do so my uncle gave me a 10 gallon and I got some platys and then I found a much bigger tank and have a very successful mbuna cichlid tank

I was around 5 and I randomly ask my Dad for a fish. We went to Walmart that night and got two fantail goldfish and a five gallon. Who knows what happened to that tank but those fish only last a couple days. A couple months later I got a betta and a bowl, the betta lived a long life but died when it suffocated in the rocks. Around age six is when it got serious... for my birthday that year I got a 10 gallon that is know currently a reef tank but throughout the years I got more and more tanks to know!

I am only in elementary school but I wanted fish so I could feel response able
When you have a fish you are there God you brought them to this world give them food and a home with out you who knows what should have happened to them

cheaper and easier to start and maintain compared to saltwater on my budget and were i live, i have 2 tanks, 55 and 30 gallon plan to get 1 or 2 more both are planted. when me and the wife get a house i thought of getting a salt water bio cube to start off with but for now i am having fun with my planted tanks. im in the process of trying to breed angels and german blue rams in the 55 and im looking to put cockatoo cichlids in the 30 and i hope to breed them as well

Same here.. I have 2 planted .. and about to get a 40 Long here soon.. and thats just for the living room haha

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish are just so pretty and it only could afford freshwater since I was 13!! Now I'm 17 and one day will have a massive saltwater tank I will be able to swim in ?

I've had freshwater aquariums for years. When the wife and I moved into our current home, I inherited a 15g hex tank from my father-in-law. Prior the current set up, we had balloon mollies in it. We had a few fry in the tank that lasted many years, but eventually they passed. I put the tank in the shed for a few years and recently brought it out for my youngest child. I started it back up, cycled it and added fresh water "Community" fish. Now the little tank boasts 3 long tailed zebra danios, 2 pineapple swardtails and 2 cory cats. I'm interested in what I can do with this tank and possibly get a bigger tank, so I joined this site. Looks like a friendly and informative site.

I've had freshwater aquariums for years. When the wife and I moved into our current home, I inherited a 15g hex tank from my father-in-law. Prior the current set up, we had balloon mollies in it. We had a few fry in the tank that lasted many years, but eventually they passed. I put the tank in the shed for a few years and recently brought it out for my youngest child. I started it back up, cycled it and added fresh water "Community" fish. Now the little tank boasts 3 long tailed zebra danios, 2 pineapple swardtails and 2 cory cats. I'm interested in what I can do with this tank and possibly get a bigger tank, so I joined this site. Looks like a friendly and informative site.
i have a planted 55, i would keep what you have for your little one and start a bigger one , there are so many things you can do with any size tank but i like variety , i have a 55 and in the middle of planting and cycling a 30 and about to but another 55 or bigger for frontosa cichlids , me and my wife love this hobby its alot of fun. it all depends on the type you have in mind to put in the tank and go from there.

I wanted a fish tank really bad when I was about 5. This was due to the fact that my neighbors own a 29 gallon tall cichlid tank, a 30 gallon cichlid tank, and a 14 gallon community. So, we decided to put a baby koi into a 1 gallon plastic critter keeper with your neon blue gravel and such. :whistle:
So i currently now have a 10 gallon and getting a 40 breeder.

My grandma had a 55g when I was a child. I was just captivated by it and have always had fish (off and on) since then. I am hoping it passes on to my son as well.

Nobody in my family had a love for fish or fish keeping. But I devolved a strong bond to fishing with my uncle who loved to fish. And I thought one day. Dang it would be awesome to keep fish so on my 8th birthday I saved enough to get an over priced 10 gallon. And that's were the addiction began. I was hooked. My buddy whom I got into fish keeping got a 26 gallon and I was envious. So I got myself a bowfront. I put Africans in there for about 6 months. Then I found this forum and learned they need a 55 bare min. So I got my own 55. Then another 10 for fry and then BOOM another 55. Let's say my parents weren't to happy about a tank in the living room but they saw the beauty in it soon after I set it up. I'm 14 now and still going strong. I hope to have a room or basement for fish keeping and a few show tanks when I get my own place. This thread brought back some good memories.

I remember my older brother having a 10g when we were kids but I had no interest at the time. It wasn't until after I was married, my wife bought 2 15g tanks at a yard sale. I started going to pet stores and experimenting; once I got fish to live longer than a few weeks, I was hooked. Now I have a 75g, a 29g, and a 24g bow front.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My parents and my aunt both had huge aquariums when I was growing up; I suppose it just rubbed off on me. I've had everything from a 1g with snails to a 40g tropical. Currently have a 30g, 3g, 1g that I'm starting up again after a bit of a hiatus; looking to add a second 30g and possibly trade up to a 10g. Or something. I suspect it'll take more than 'but the room looks unbalanced' to convince my husband to bookend the dining room in aquariums, and add another to our living room...

Hey guys, my intro ^_^

I think i was around 8-9 when my parents first got a fish tank after months of me nagging them haha, it was 4x2x2ft and sat on a cabinet in my bedroom as i was on the ground floor and my room was quietest :)
It kept 2 clown loach, a large amount of different tetra, a few cories and some mollies i believe :)

We then bought a 30 litre for in the kitchen for all the baby mollies until they got to a decent size which soon after we sold the large tank and all the fish and equipment as a bulk buy to a lad down the road from us.

4 years later and i decided after moving back upstairs i wanted to try again, i went and got about 10 minnows from the streams on the moors nearby which did really well in my 30litre on my bedside cabinet, i filled it up with water from the stream took some plants, snails and water woodlice back with me and fed them on mosquito larvae which they absolutely loved, when they were massive and had been breeding i released them back into the stream ^_^ and wanted to try tropical fish :D (i went a bit crazy)

i went to a friend who gave me five LARGE fish tanks with heaters and filters for free because he is awesome and has about 50 of them in his garage.

This is where things got fun, the room i used to be in i kitted up as a fish room to which my parents strangely had no issue with o_O all fish 200 litre tanks set up on large solid wood cabinets. (empty of fish at this point)
They all had two inches of a fertilizer substrate which i bought in bulk online, massive pieces of drift wood as center pieces :D i bought 1000 live plants on ebay in bulk, set all the plants up and let the tanks rest with everything set up (i like it to look natural)

i was breeding neon tetra in one of the smaller 60 litres i then borrowed off of someone, marbles and leaf litter in the bottom, lots of floating plants and a ridiculously small amount of light, produced over 300 babies with 10 adults :)

I now only have 2 220 litre corner tanks with mainly live bearers, tetra, 3 pleco and a few other random fish, along with about 100 cherry shrimp lol and then there is my new neon breeding tank with 4 adults (2 male, 2 female) and my 45litre upstairs with endler guppies in which we sell on

I wanted to care for more animals but I'm allergic to any animal with fur so I've been wanting fish for a while and was blown away by the beauty of betta fish. It's also great that they don't need much space. So I'm cycling my 3 gallon and I am beginning my fish care taking journey! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine's a bit of an odd story. We were travelling home from Wales one day last summer, and I spotted a sign for Sir Fynwy - Monmouthshire in English. And I decided that "Sir Fynwy" would be an excellent name for a goldfish.

After researching a lot about goldfish care, I realised I wouldn't be able to keep a tank big enough for them to be comfortable in, so I started looking into other species of freshwater fish. Eventually I came across livebearers, and from there, the variatus platy.

Once I got my own place to live, I got myself a tank, cycled it and got myself some variatus platies. Somewhere along the line I also got interested in planted tanks, and that brings me to where I am today.

Sadly there's no room for more tanks in this place, but when I have a bit more space I'd like a betta tank. And, in an ideal world, I'd also switch my current tank for a bigger tank with both variatus platies and cories, and have a pond for comet goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom