What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooo, cichlids are awesome. And that's the mistake I made when stepping into the salty side, I didn't have money or time or experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I'm loving my cichlids! And apparently salt water tanks and really high maintenance so I'm going to wait a really ling time before I get into that.

Well, I've always had a fish tank since I can remember (I remember having a large tank with goldfish in my room as a toddler- RIP Wanda!) and even raised fish for awhile several years back. I moved across the country and decided to sell everything, so I decided it was about time to get back into it!

Now I'm trying to resist buying OTHER thanks- although I already have a Q-tank, a nano, and a large (75+) gallon tank set up for when I have the extra funds!

Childhood

When we were kids we had guppies. As an adult I had 2 55 gal tanks with large a variety of shark, angel, ghost knife, Apple snail, etc. Gave the tanks to my son. It's been many years since, over 20, I got a small glow fish tank...cute but too small. Then went to a 20 gal. Then, my sister's helped me make a pond for Koi in my garden and I was hooked,,, but it wasn't deep enough to winter them outside, so I brought them on the house in a 100 gal horse tank. All was fine until I cleaned it, drained some water out, added water treatment and killed them all but one. So devastating. Now I found a 180 gal beautiful glass,tank with stand and canopy. I think I want to put Koi in it. I have a fluval rx, and shouldn't need heat, right? Should I use sand or rock? Should I have lived plants? So many questions, so much fun.

Needed Fishies

When I was a kid, probably about seven or eight, my parents decided to get me a fish tank. I'm guessing it was a ten gallon. Then a few years later they got rid of it. Guess they didn't feel like teaching me how to care for the fish.
I've always loved animals. Right now my husband has been in the hospital for almost a year, and I've gotten to the point where I need something alive to come home to. We're not ready for a cat and dog yet, so I decided to try my hand with fish since they were so wonderful when I was a kid. Almost two weeks in and thanks to you guys doing okay.

Cowgirl you can not keep a koi in a 180 gall tank. I own a tank that size but a koi grows really big.

Finally have time again...

I can't remember a time growing up that our family didn't have an aquarium of one size or another. I remember learning about all the fish and the upkeep of aquariums from my mom and how much she loved taking care of her own "little ecosystem."

I personally have had several aquariums, but when I found myself to rather suddenly and unexpectedly be a single mom, working full-time and going to school in the evenings part-time, something had to give. I just didn't have time to take care of the aquarium the way the fish deserved. So I sold my whole set up to help pay some bills.

Now I'm finished with school and I have time again for hobbies. The first thing I did was run out and buy another aquarium. I'm currently battling a rather nasty ick infestation, but I'm still loving every second of it.

Ever since I was little I have wanted an amphibian or reptile. I knew my roommate would freak out if I got a snake or large frog so I decided to get an African Dwarf Frog. My mom had an ADF when she was in college and I guess it's a good pet for young adults. I decided to add four ghost shrimp to the tank and later added two snails. I look forward to buying another ADF when I can get my Nitrites under control. My goal is to one day set up a planted aquarium.

My mom always had freshwater fish. She always had a 55 gallon tank or higher and she had fish in her tank the size of bass and I always thought it was cool looking at all the decor and watching the fish swim around and I also love water in general. Plus one day I wanna be able to take care of "advanced" freshwater fish. There so cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started with Betta fish then found out about planted aquariums and such. Now I'm hooked (haha)!

I started with Betta fish then found out about planted aquariums and such. Now I'm hooked (haha)!

It happens to the best of us ;) glad you could join us. A nice little nano with a school of rasboras or some shrimp sounds right up your ally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, it started out when I went fishing. I wanted to keep one of the fish. So i ended doing tons of research. Eventually I got everything I needed to keep fish happy and healthy and suffer from MTS. lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I wanted a freshwater tank because I have always found fish to be beautiful and I thought that salt water would be a little too hard and expensive for me. I love my freshwater tank.

I LOVE koi but I don't have the money or room to make a pond so I decided to get the next best similar fish which are comet goldfish and I plan on getting a shubunkin. They can be so mesmerizing to watch. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463721809.286197.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463721820.863719.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463721829.868195.jpg

Not good quality photos but it's good enough :')

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I moved into a place of my own, my brother gifted me with a white cloud minnow and another tiny fish in about a 0.5 gallon container saying that they'd be fine in it. Me being me, I did the research and went from that to a 20 gallon planted aquarium, to adding a 90 gallon aquarium with a breeding pair of oscars (still my favourite and so sad I had to give this entire thing up). So now after many years, I got bit by the bug again.

Freshwater aquariums are so pretty when they're planted! That's what sucked me in! Just hours of videos of waving underwater meadows and tall grass forests and monstrous silly fish. Also I fell in love with my goober of a Goby Falkor who's 5 Years strong and 13" long (violet Goby) with his tiny teeth and grumpy purple face! The first time I saw him swim backwards I was a goner! We were meant to be this odd bottom dweller and me!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For as long as i can remember, my dad used to keep all sorts of freshwater fish all around the house..when i say all sorts, i really mean it. There were 3 or 4 tanks inside the house and around the house were several bins or anything big enough to hold some fish in it.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom