What my Angelfish is doing? Please have a look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its like he is having some seizure or something. Please have a look at this video. Whats wrong with him? Is it some kind of mating ritual or some problem.

https://youtu.be/RFTSeio3ryw

Please reply. Thanks.

Yes they're having a seizure, maybe change your lighting? And.... why are their archer fish in there?!?!?!!?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they're having a seizure, maybe change your lighting? And.... why are their archer fish in there?!?!?!!?!?

No they are NOT having a seizure....seriously??? It is not a mating ritual either. They are having a standoff. First one to back down loses. Don't freak this guy out by giving him bad info. I have 6 fully grown angels and a couple of them do this all the time. And the lighting has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. SMH. Your fish are good man. Just a little head to head competition.

No they are NOT having a seizure....seriously??? It is not a mating ritual either. They are having a standoff. First one to back down loses. Don't freak this guy out by giving him bad info. I have 6 fully grown angels and a couple of them do this all the time. And the lighting has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. SMH. Your fish are good man. Just a little head to head competition.

Relax,.its clearly mating behavior, any YouTube video would show that. I was being a nudge..

Relax,.its clearly mating behavior, any YouTube video would show that. I was being a nudge..

Idk Brookster123, seizures in fish are a real serious thing, don't dismiss it until you are sure. Epileptic fish are rarely discussed these days.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Who shall I listen? First it is said to be a seizure then its a stand off and then its a mating ritual.

It's mating, don't worry about it. I'm not letting the archer fish go though:p

It's mating, don't worry about it. I'm not letting the archer fish go though:p

I really hope its not matting. Don't want to breed any fish.

Archers are Here because they are still small and can do great in freshwater. Scat is also with them in freshwater. Will move them to brackish tank with time. I did research and brackish water fish do spend the first life in freshwater and then later to brackish. So its fine. They are healthy and eating like mad.

Edit: I did see YouTube and its matting ritual.

The likely hood of any viable offspring is 1/1000000 in that set up. On a side note.. archer fish reach about a foot long, 150 gallon 6' tank should work. A nice mangrove setup..

The likely hood of any viable offspring is 1/1000000 in that set up. On a side note.. archer fish reach about a foot long, 150 gallon 6' tank should work. A nice mangrove setup..

Thanks. I have yet to see an one feet long archer in a tank and even in wild by the way. I did always read on how big fish can grow like mono angels can get size of a dinner plate but I never seen even one picture of such large specimen.

If and when I see Archers overgrow. I can move them.

Thanks. I have yet to see an one feet long archer in a tank and even in wild by the way. I did always read on how big fish can grow like mono angels can get size of a dinner plate but I never seen even one picture of such large specimen.

If and when I see Archers overgrow. I can move them.

I don't know anything about Archer size, but all fish will grow to the size of their tank, but that is not a good thing like some people who work for pet stores tell you. Stunting growth due to small tank size shortens their life span. It can also make them have mental issues down the road. Just a quick look online, everywhere does say a minimum tank size of 125 gallons is needed for those fish, so really you need 150 gallons. I have no idea how big your tank is but wanted to give my two cents.

I don't know anything about Archer size, but all fish will grow to the size of their tank, but that is not a good thing like some people who work for pet stores tell you. Stunting growth due to small tank size shortens their life span. It can also make them have mental issues down the road. Just a quick look online, everywhere does say a minimum tank size of 125 gallons is needed for those fish, so really you need 150 gallons. I have no idea how big your tank is but wanted to give my two cents.

Fish do not grow to the size of the tank, they grow to their normal size and if that's larger than a tank then they can literally grow until the are larger than the tank is. Stunting does occur, usually from a hormone secreted by the dominant fish or from extremely high nitrates, however a fish doesn't just stop growing once it's as big as the tank will allow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am learning a lot from this site. What happens is I go to store and see a cool fish and I buy them. I ask the store sales man and he always say "Yes".

I once fascinated by a large two feet fire eel and just casually asked store person about him and he asked me about my tank size. I said its three feet and he said u can buy it because it usually just stays on bottom. I obviously have this much sense to not trust his word and I didn't buy but this has happened with me many times.

I almost bought a gar which was a baby without knowing how fast and how much they grow.

I am learning now. Probably give back Archers to store. I try my best now to not fall immediately for a fish at store and do some research.

And to continue with the original topic. I am still in doubt its matting behavior or aggression. They are not paired up and they do this gesture also at feeding time when they become aggressive and do this to each other and try to push each other back.

That is not a seizure. That is two males trying to establish dominance. It is perfectly normal behavior and nothing to worry about unless one ends up in a corner with all its fins tattered.

Back
Top Bottom