What should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a ten and 5 gal both are decently planted with the ten more heavily planted. The ten I was planning on stocking with CPDs and peacock gudgeons but obtaining both these has recently fallen through and I cannot get either (at a reasonable price anyway). The 5 I was going to stock with a betta and RCS but not sure on the betta anymore... and I recently bought some RCS and added them to the ten and they seem to be liking it there so I'm at a crossroad here....:confused:

What I'm asking is what should I stock the 5 and 10 with now? I have a neighbour who breeds all kinds of killifish, and seems to regularly have an excess of one kind or another. After talking to him today he kinda sold me on trying some killis but I know nothing about them really other then if
I put them in my 10 I can say goodbye to my RCS and the live food diet... if I do try the killis I don't want to have to change either setup as I'm really liking both.

What do you all think I should do? if the ten is already suitable for a pair then I can move the RCS the 5 which is the only solution I have thought of so far...

Either way, beware of bettas and RCS together... RCS have a bright coloration with many bettas do not like. RCS=food or bullied.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Either way, beware of bettas and RCS together... RCS have a bright coloration with many bettas do not like. RCS=food or bullied.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes I know.... i almost bought a female betta for the other day for the 5 she was stunning....

There are some gorgeous killies, they often rival SW fish in my opinion!

I kept australe and gardneri, both ended up being mass murderers of both small fish and shrimp. A pair or trio would be fine in a 10g.

A betta and shrimp can be done, depends on the betta though. I had one in a 5g with green rasboras and shrimp, didn't bother either.

Have you thought about other options for the 5g?

There are some gorgeous killies, they often rival SW fish in my opinion!

I kept australe and gardneri, both ended up being mass murderers of both small fish and shrimp. A pair or trio would be fine in a 10g.

A betta and shrimp can be done, depends on the betta though. I had one in a 5g with green rasboras and shrimp, didn't bother either.

Have you thought about other options for the 5g?

My neighbour has strains of both those, I mean there was a good two dozen tanks full of breeding killis and then another three of grow out tanks... gillie would be impressed.

Is a planted tank full of various things like hygro, subbwassertang (no clue how to spell it) anubias, pennywort,duckweed, frogbit, and java moss okay for them? theres driftwood and caves, water is crystal clear though... I think I'm gonna ask my neighbour for a pair/trio, the guys 70 easy, don't know how he maintains everything. says the tanks are good for getting away from his wife, who is one of the nicest ladies I know.

I don't have any other options for the 5... if I do get conned out of the killis then i will likely go for some mountain cloud minnows, any suggestions for either tanks? most things like chilli rasboras and other nanos are not on my highly restricted australian market....

Did you decide about the killies?

yes! going to go see the neighbour tomorrow and ask him if he can help me out with some, he has a heap of different gardneri and australe strains as well as all his annuals and a heap that I can't remember. RO water, ph 6.3-7.0, live and frozen foods, heavily planted... is that the go?:fish2:

Moving RCS to 5g, going to grow the colony out a bit wait till I have more mullah for a fancy betta before I try anything. If betta doesn't work out then i guess another tank wouldn't hurt...:angel:

Back
Top Bottom