what stage is this for platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelcatt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a young pregnant red tiger platy. Its facinating because theyre so see through. Ive been watching her pregnancy progress. Shes shy to begin with so ive been unsuccessful getting any good pics of her.

But i was wonder what stage shes in when i can see pink goo with lots of little black dots? I'm guessing these are the babies. I can see separations in the pink jelly looking stuff. Are the black dots the babies eyes?

I'm trying to guestimate from her stage of developement when she'll be ready to drop her fry. I'm not sure when she started developing cause she's had the notorious black dot since i brojght her home. She was very small and any other females that size i brought home died if they tried to carry their pregnancy. This one was smart and waited.

I have a nice planted tank and theyll do well so long as they dont hang out at the surface. Problem is shes so petite still she doesnt look like shes carrying but a handful and id like to ensure some survive.

Im not sure about that particular type of platy. My red wag platy has been pregnant twice. The first time I got to her in time and was able to separate her, but the second time, she delivered in the big tank in all the babies got eaten. I came home one day to a skinny fish. But what I learned from both births is that once I can see the eyes (she is also slightly transparent) its time to move her. I'd say you probably have a day or 2 til you have some babies. But all fish are different I guess. But I'd definitely move her very soon. Hope this helps.

thedavinator said:
Im not sure about that particular type of platy. My red wag platy has been pregnant twice. The first time I got to her in time and was able to separate her, but the second time, she delivered in the big tank in all the babies got eaten. I came home one day to a skinny fish. But what I learned from both births is that once I can see the eyes (she is also slightly transparent) its time to move her. I'd say you probably have a day or 2 til you have some babies. But all fish are different I guess. But I'd definitely move her very soon. Hope this helps.

Colors dont matter when determining gravidness.

emerald76 said:

It doesnt have anything to do with color, but you cant always see THROUGH the fish clearly enough to see eyes. Since with this fish you can see everything inside her clearly i can (for the first time with my fish) see all the little eyes and even bodies.

Since this clearly means theyre almost done developing ive moved her to the breeding box. I only have the one pair and theyre insparable so theyre both upset there's a wall between them. Hopefully she'll drop soon.

Pics would help a lot, even bad ones. Wait awhile. Wait untill she squares off then you can start preparing for babies

emerald76 said:

I wasn't really saying anything about the color. I was just sharing my experience. Bubbles is right though, wait til she squares off, though. Sometimes it's hard to tell what that means, though.

Ive seen squaring off in my balloon mollies.

These were the best pics i could get. Its hard to tell its not one big dark blob. I was only able to get these because shes in the box. Shes been hiding a lot which i know to mean shes prepping.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120514_172015.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_172015.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120514_172027.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_172027.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20120514_172038.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_172038.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 88
I was just looking at my crumby pics that really dont do her pregnancy justice and noticed in one you can see her birthing tube extended. She only started showing it early today. About how long after it begins appearing will she be ready?

Back
Top Bottom