What the HECK?? Another question, graphic pics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is happening here? I was feeding the fish and I noticed my female ram has these stringy things (poo, worms?) hanging out of her. Does she have internal parasites? Or could she have eaten some of the broccoli I put in for the otos and its just broc fibers? If one more fish comes down with 1 more thing I am going to scream!

It looks like worms(internal para). Does'nt look like poo. Watch the fish and if it persists quarantine. I have no idea what meds to use tho. Internals are very hard to cure. Any thing weird like a loss of weight? Eating ok?

I'll try and see if something is online somewhere.

She eats very well. The only place I can think she could have picked up worms is from the frozen blood worms I feed them. But how likely is it that it would come from frozen food?

Worms can be in your fish for a long time before growing to the size were they show visable signs, six months or more even.

Bacteria on frozen food has a very high probability. If bacteria is on the food freezing won't kill it. when we thaw out the food bacteria is not killed off because we don't cook it, so I can't see why bacteria can't be found.

I have tried to find a suitable medication for you but I am afraid I can't. US meds are different from euro ones.

Really sorry

Sorry about the delay in the reply.

Went to LFS to ask about your problem and the response I got was meds are crap and I should kill the fish because its to late. LFS is a thriving sespool of genius is'nt it.

Hope your having a better hunt.

I'll join the hunt too... My dwarf gourami had something simliar the other day (long string with specks of poo in it) about an INCH long. I looked back 20 minutes later and it was gone. If you find something, let me know, I think this may be the same thing. I've only had him for a month, but i never feed bloodworms to his tank, he must have had this when i got him. :-S

Wow FishFingers! Thanks for all your effort on behalf of my little fishy. :D
Kudos! I have been watching her very closely and I haven't seen anything else like what is in the pic. So I am hoping it was just some weird poo. On the other hand, a while back I posted about her being pale for no apparent reason and acting like she is starving all the time. So geez, who knows.
Thanks again for your help!

Try paragon 2 as general boost against the parasites but its still just a pick me up the fish will still have to do the work unfortunately.

There is one other killer of internal parasites but its a bit extreme and the stress i think would kill a lot of fish.

Levamisole hydrochloride

http://www.loaches.com/faq_parasites.html

good luck

An anti-parasite food can be fed to her as well. Even if there is no parasites in her, and it was simply weird looking waste, the medicated food will not do any damage.

Yes, I think in this case, better safe than sorry. She has a great little appetite, so I think medicated food wouldn't be a problem. Any particular brand you recommend?

FF. I looked up the paragon 2, and I couldn't find much info on it. Is that something that would go into the food?

I thought pepso food was supposed to be one of the best out there. Jungle makes it, and it should be fairly easy to find.

Some people feed medicated food just as a preventative. One a month or so.

I have been searching online for the pepso food and I can't find it anywhere. Do you happen to know where I can get some?

Back
Top Bottom