what to do with my now boring tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've lost my favorite fish and now my tank just seems blah. I lost my dragon goby to ich (i thought it was gone but he 2 spots on the fins that he clings to things with) and my bumble bee gobies are gone too. The two swordtails that I had left are gone too.
This is what I have left:
10 dalmation mollies (i think they are cross with a sailfin)
and a bunch of guppies.

I lost all faith in my self with running this tank. I think the tank still has ich and I'm using the salt/heat method because I HAD skaleless fish. The mollies are starting to flash again.

When I get paid on friday I'm going to go get an ich treatment.

But once thats all done with, I don't know what I should do. What to stock.

We're still debating on getting a new dragon goby, and we saw 3 of them at a lfs, they've been there for about a month. But they didnt look to good, the had nipped fins and such,

I was looking around and I was thinking about getting an African Dwarf Frog, but I don't know if they are brackish or not. And what their requirements are. If they are just water frogs or if they need dry land, will the jump out of the tank (i dont have a lid)

We were thinking about once my GSP is in his 30gal, I'm going to move some of the mollies and guppies into his old tank just for breeding (food) and sell the rest. Which would leave us with an empty 80gal tank.

But if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

We loved Puff (our dragon goby) but don't know if we want to go that route again.

R.I.P. Puff the magic dragon goby
R.I.P. trio of bumble bee gobies
R.I.P. sketchy swordtails

what and go FOWLR or reef? lol i've thought about it. but i'm not in the right financial situation to get that kind of equipment. unless you can do a saltwater tank with the equipment i have now...2 HOB filters a heater and an air pump. lol...i know NOTHING about full saltwater...just about the fish.

Unfortunately, the start up costs are pretty killer. As additional basic equipment, you would need an RO/DI, refractometer, rock, salt mix. You could still use the HOB with slight modification.

Maybe someday.

i have the salt mix already and a hydrometer lol theres a start
but if you give me a list of the exact equipment maybe i can start looking around on the classifides in my area..

There is a basic equipment list in a sticky or article floating around, I would suggest finding that and reading it, you can get killllller deals on craigslist for equipment. People selling entire setups for like $150.

i've never had any luck with craigslist in winnipeg. ive pretty much found everything i've needed on a site called winnipegfishforum.com and i use kijiji too. but i'll look for that link. thanks

oh one more thing...is an overflow box necessary? if so, i guess i'll have to figure out how to make one.

so after debating with myself (haven't spoken to my boyfriend about it yet) i think this thread will be moved the saltwater section very soon....but then i still have to wait for approval from my boyfriend.
if he excepts then it will be a very long and slow journey to a salt water tank. probably like fowlr for now. wish me luck and i'll post more about it later.

lol thanks Jimbo. I knew i was already going to be going marine for my GSPs tank but that wasn't going to be done for like another year or 2. I hadn't done my research on what i needed yet. but it looks like ive been convinced!

sorry about your dragon T____T i really liked him when i saw him in the video

as for your next stop, maybe after treating the ich, go with the gsp idea? those are some awesome fish as well

thanks maxima and yes, we're going to be foccusing on our gsps tank now. I'm still trying to find a cheap lightly used heater. I'm going to go look at one on sunday, so hopefully its good. we just got like a clip on desk lamp hanging from a shelf above the tank which looks like it should be ok lighting for what i want to do. my boyfriend is still torn between getting another dragon and going fowlr for the 80. but i've been trying to convice him there's more possibilities in fowlr than just brackish.
.....he almost had the dragon stuffed i made it perfectly clear to him that i wouldnt have a dead fish (even though he was our favorite) hanging above our fish tank

thanks maxima and yes, we're going to be foccusing on our gsps tank now. I'm still trying to find a cheap lightly used heater. I'm going to go look at one on sunday, so hopefully its good. we just got like a clip on desk lamp hanging from a shelf above the tank which looks like it should be ok lighting for what i want to do. my boyfriend is still torn between getting another dragon and going fowlr for the 80. but i've been trying to convice him there's more possibilities in fowlr than just brackish.
.....he almost had the dragon stuffed i made it perfectly clear to him that i wouldnt have a dead fish (even though he was our favorite) hanging above our fish tank

hahaha. that is awesome. You should have had him posed like a real dragon and put some flames coming out of his mouth. :D

i was just looking at some adds and i found this...i know there are a few things in here SW related but i'm not too sure about everything else, i've already got dibs on the refractometer because my hydrometer isnt very accurate for higher temps. and i know i could use the hydor koralia 2 but i dont know if its good for my tank or not. the guy had this stuff in a 70gal tank, but i dont want another tank, just the equipment. so this is what the guy gave me as a list of what he had. let me know if you think these are good prices (canadian $$ lol). and what from this list could i use?

hydor koralia 2 -- $30
aquaclear 30 -- $15
aquaclear 20 -- $10
eheim jager 75w heater -- $10
eheim jager 125w heater -- $10
tunze universal osmolator auto top off 3155-- $100
oceans motions squirt wave maker (4 way) -- $70
ecoplus submersible pump (1056 gph) -- $20
ecoplus submersible pump (396 gph) -- $15
resun submersible pump (225 gph) -- $15
catalina submersible pump with triple venturi (900 gph) -- $20
auto temp calibrated refractometer -- $25
tds meter -- $15
Sunlight Supply T5 2-54W Fluorescent Ballast (w/ 4x waterproof endcaps and standoffs) -- $40
2x Ice cap 175w MH electronic ballast w/ ceramic mogul socket, 24" reflector -- $85 for each set
2x packages of 20 reef plugs -- $5 ea.

oh and i guess lol, the mods can move this to saltwater section...if they want lol...i've decided i'm getting my way even if my boyfriend likes or not :p
and for those who don't know, my tank is 80gal 48x16x24

You have to decide what kind of SW tank you want. fish only or reef, the only difference being if you want coral.
The prices on the lights are pretty good, im assuming no bulbs
The TDS meter for that price is always a nice thing to have, tells you when you need new filters in your RO/DI unit.

Its really hard to say on the other stuff, I would do some research and see if they are things you might be interested in having, depending on which type of tank you want.

Back
Top Bottom