What to put in 55 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
-2 Bala Sharks
-1 Tiger Oscar
-1 Jack Dempsey

This Ok in a 55 Gallon? (The sharks will be upgraded eventually)

But i am saying if the oscar and the jack dempsey are ok together?

I would have to say that is some heavy stocking. Those 2 together put you at overstock not seriously. You will probably have to watch them as they get older and you may need to upgrade to keep them together. Mainly because Oscars get big. Just remember they get big really fast.

55 Gallon Stocking

-2 Bala Sharks
-1 Tiger Oscar Cichlid

Would this be an okay stocking? I would leave a lot of the tank open for the bala sharks.

If not, any other suggestions? (I would really like to have bala sharks but I can only afford a 55 gallon but keep in mind that anything you suggest will be including the bala sharks.)

Those two fish would not be ok in a 55. The Oscar could be ok in a 75 gallon tank minimum. The harks are very active and social so a tank that is at least 400 gallons or larger would be best for them. If you have the 55 now, angelfish would be a better option.

Balas are not an acceptable stocking choice for a 55G and as bettaowner suggests they need a very large tank; around 150G I think would be acceptable at the bare minimum due to their active nature.

Upgrade to 55

Hey Guys hopefully i will upgrade to a 55 gallon from my 20 gallon soon but does anyone have any ideas for stocking? I would like a tiger oscar but then I can't put anything with it. Or can I? I was hoping to put a small school of Silver Dollars with it. Good or bad?

pirate chest what could i add one more of?

Nothing I was hoping to have a stock of 1 tiger and sone assorted cichlids... Only 55 gallon tho

i will not be able to ever upgrade so is the most i will be able to house in the tank 1 oscar and nothing more?

An Oscar will quickly outgrow a 55g tank and you are going to have water issues due to their heavy bio-load. There are other SA cichlids you could do that do not get quite so large. You could do a pair of Key Hole Cichlids or look into Blue Acara. Or you could do an African Cichlid tank.

Mbuna Tank

I have a 55 gallon tank with nothing in it yet, my plans for stocking are...

-4 Electric Yellow Lab
-4 Yellow Tail Acei
-4 Red Zebra
-1 Rainbow Shark

Is this okay? Are there any other cool Mbuna Cichlids that will get along well?

From what I've read everything should be fine except for the shark I'm about to start my 65gal in a month and my stock is almost the same as yours. My only advice would be to research and then research again lol

I have a 55 gallon tank with nothing in it yet, my plans for stocking are...

-4 Electric Yellow Lab
-4 Yellow Tail Acei
-4 Red Zebra
-1 Rainbow Shark

Is this okay? Are there any other cool Mbuna Cichlids that will get along well?

I actually like the stocking youve suggested for your mbuna and could work well without an inbalance of males. Just worried the shark being singled out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser! :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rainbow sharks are highly territorial so in terms of behavior, it wouldn't be too different from the mbuna.

I actually like the stocking youve suggested for your mbuna and could work well without an inbalance of males. Just worried the shark being singled out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser! :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there anything else that could work as a grounds crew then? Pleco? Also, I am also not crazy about the labs, i was looking for something different. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom