What to put with Gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - I have a 55-gallon tank and have 6 cories and 1 blue and 1 gold gourami (not the dwarf variety), along with 10 neon tetras. What else can I put in the tank that will coexist with the gouramis? Not worried about the tetras - I can put them into a 10-gallon tank if need be.

Thanks!

You are going to have a problem. Blue and gold goursmis are just different color variations of the same fish. Even though they may be fine now eventually the gouramis you have will kill each other or close to it. They just dont tolerate their own kind. If you want to keep both one needs to be in a different tank, trust me. Once you get one of them out if there you really shouldn't have any issues finding suitable tank mates, just NO MORE gouramis! They actually do fine with other fish just not their own kind.

Yes, I know they are the same species - I read they do okay if they have enough places to hide, and the lfs people (a real fish store, not petsmart/petco). This is making me crazy - I ask people here and other places what fish go together and EVERYONE has a different opinion!

How about Mollies? They are very peaceful and active all over the tank! Lots of color and variety! I love them!

I just recently had to give a 4in male pearl gauramis to the lfs because my dwarf was tearing him apart. The dwarf would of killed him in just a few more days. The lfs and I where stunned that a fish 1/3 the pearls size was attacking him.

dwarf gouramis have a reputation for being aggressive, I would NOT add them to this tank!

OK seriously, you don't have to take my advise but I have been keeping gouramis for years and although sometimes it might even work fine for months I promise it wont end well. Certainly DO NOT PUT ANYMORE gouramis in this tank!!!!!!

I agree - only one Gourami per tank.
I had 2 Blue and had to rehome one or it would have been killed -
Then I added 2 Pink Kissers (didn't know they are also Gourami…) The one injured the other while the Blue chased the more aggressive of the pink around. I eventually rehomed the aggressive one but it was too late as the other pink ended up dying of it's injuries anyway.
Take my word for it - due to no research before buying I had to deal with the stress and guilt of the constant fight. Now that I have BlueG left - he's happy as can be to be the only G in the tank!

My other fish in the tank are:
Rosy Barbs
Tiger Barbs
Rainbow Shark
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Blood Fin Tetra
Blood Parrot

BlueG gets along just fine with all of them - The Parrot fish keep him in line.

That's funny with the kissers because they are one species of gourami that CAN be kept together! LOL definitely not with blues though :)

Hi - I have a 55-gallon tank and have 6 cories and 1 blue and 1 gold gourami (not the dwarf variety), along with 10 neon tetras. What else can I put in the tank that will coexist with the gouramis? Not worried about the tetras - I can put them into a 10-gallon tank if need be.

Thanks!

With the stock you have you could add a school or Congo Tetras or one of the many types of Rainbowfish. Plus you can keep the neons in the tank. Emperor tetras would be nice also.

I have one gold gourami, one dwarf, 2 rainbowfish and some platys and mollys, and corys. My tank is doing very well

So if I took one of my gouramis back to the lfs, could I get a blood parrot to put in the tank?

I dunno about the one gourami per tank rule. It does hold some weight as it has become a general standered most people keep, and each and every fish is different so that has to be taken into account too. But I have a Honey Sunset Gourami, Flame Dwarf Gourami, Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, and a Gold Gourami in my tank and they all get along. Granted the only male is the Blue Dwarf, but still. They all swim openly in the tank, all eat at the same time and have vibrant colors

Back
Top Bottom