What type of algae is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been fighting this stuff for a month. It's a gold color and is stringy.its in a 55 gallon, I do a 10 gallon water change every week. My light are on a total of 10 hours a day. Ammonia, nitrites, and phosphates are at 0. Nitrates are less then 5. I feed a half cube every other day.

image-2011288809.jpg

I get it to where its almost gone for a week or so and then it comes right back worse then before. Also did a 20 gallon water change yesterday. High flow throughout the whole tank. Over 2400 gph of water flow

If it's stringy then it is string algae and I had a major problem with it at some point. I got rid of it by reducing the light, reducing feeding and got some hermit crabs.

Don't know what you have in your tank but half a cube every other day seams like a lot.

Sounds like Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates. Pray it isn't dinos, they are the most difficult thing to get rid of ever.

I've got 2 clowns,and a scooter dragonette for fish. Emerald crab, pistol shrimp, about 15 hermits, and a bunch of different snails for inverts. The hermits won't eat this stuff.

image-3426593894.jpg

I just cleaned that yesterday

Ok I have a plan. Tell me if you think it'll work. My 150 is fully ready for fish. I planned on transferring my livestock this weekend. Wanted to transfer my live rock also but that's not going to happen. What I plan on doing is taking my live stock and putting them in my 150 then I'll go dark for a week. Afterwards I'll have fish saltwater to to my rock in and scrub rinse scrub and rinse some more before putting it in my 150. What do you think

Ok I have a plan. Tell me if you think it'll work. My 150 is fully ready for fish. I planned on transferring my livestock this weekend. Wanted to transfer my live rock also but that's not going to happen. What I plan on doing is taking my live stock and putting them in my 150 then I'll go dark for a week. Afterwards I'll have fish saltwater to to my rock in and scrub rinse scrub and rinse some more before putting it in my 150. What do you think

Your 150 is already cycled right? Otherwise yes that should work. I'd go dark, then see if it comes back once you get the lights on. If so scrub it then go dark again and do water changes.

My 150 is cycled. I'm having the problems on my 55 and I plan on taking it down once I'm done transferring everything to my 150. Do you think it's be necessary to do a water change in the 55 after going dark

Back
Top Bottom