What type of rainbow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at your pictures again, I think only your first one looks like an Australian rainbow. I have kept an australian, very nice and active fish, but need big tanks, around 55 gallons. I had a female, which was more slender and more blue/gray and hints of green in coloration.

Your second one in the pic...it kind of looks like this:
M_maccullochi_Harvey_Ck.jpg

My first pic there shows the male on the left and the female on the right....these guys are still a bit immature but growing steadily. Both are colored nicely but the male is definitely greener with a more distinct black outline on his fins as well as deeper bodied. The next two pics are of my male alone....your slimmer ones could just be younger males too, but I would put my money on them being female...just have to watch and see :) When I first got the three I have they all look fairly alike coloring-wise except the male was slightly larger.

Of course, the general name of Melanotaenia fluviatilis can have different subspecies from what I have found on the web, dependent upon which creek or river they came from too - a real guessing game.

It really does look like M, fluviatilis. So hard to know if was caught in the wild or has been breed. The Murray Darling is such a huge River system it really is a guessing game to know where it came from.

There is now a much larger updated version of 'Rainbowfishes' by Adrain Tappin that just came out:

Rainbowfish Book

On page 272/3 there are some great pics and info on them.

Cheers

UDan

Yeah they look just like my australians. They're dimmer Rainbows, but very active, fun fish.

Back
Top Bottom