Whats happening to my first fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PondFond

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, one of my fancy (fantail) goldfish seems to be having trouble staying at the bottom. Sorry i can't give you a parameter of the tank (my pond fish are in a tank for the winter). Whenever she swims down to rest on the bottom she floats right up again then she swims back down. She does not float on her side and swims fine still. I don't think she is very old. I bought her from a breeder abot a year ago along with another one. help plz

It a swimbladder disorder caused by a bacterial infection would be my guess. I can't really say without some more info.

she seems to be doing fine now, i am sorry i can't give you info. I am not a pro ponder. I have had one for only one year and i am only 14. Is there any cure you know of, i heard somewhere that peas help that. Is this true?

Peas CAN help with this. Thaw out a couple frozen peas, and carefully squeeze out the inside of each pea. Throw out the skins, feed the insides to your fish. It sometimes helps with goldfish swimbladder problems.

i have one that has been doing that for a year now it also dos flips and swims upside down every now and then it happens when it gets nerves or scared i was worried at first now i just live with it dos not seem to bother the fish tim

Sometimes my fish when they feed at the surface seem to take in to much air & then they swim around for a couple hours always pointed downward & contantly floating up. They are in an aquarium but it could be she just had an imbalance from food consumption.

frog girl, thats a good way to look at it. When i feed Chloe (the fish) she seemd to take big gulps of air down with her. You can hear her sucking it in, it goes away after a while.

As well i think i overfeed my fish, 3 good sized feedings a day ( aprx. 15 pellets per fish per day) the majority of my fish are around 3-5 inches.

Back
Top Bottom