What's wrong with my cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here he is, I can't catch him. When I go to net him he hides.

View attachment 71635

View attachment 71636

View attachment 71637

View attachment 71638

Just beat up or something else? This is the only one in the tank that looks like this. Looks to be on bad shape. I have a hospital tank with the heater going already. Been up all night trying to get him but I don't wanna stress him out more. :(

Also from sitting here for hours his poop is white not orange like everyone else's.

Last edited:
Got'em!!! He's in the hospital tank temp is 80 pH is 8.2 and treated with prime. He's swimming upside down!! :(

After further review of the little guy a huge chunk of his back has been bitten off!! And his fins are nipped at!!!

Is there anything else I can do?!?!

Please anyone?!? I'm watching die!!!! Should I just euthanasia him?

He's only using his back fin!!

:(

Stop over feeding and mix feeding him. Too much food causes excess ammonia and parasites. I'd suggest a full tank treatment with melafix or pinafix. Nurse tanks are no good if the problems caused by water issues in the main tank. Remove carbon from filter a bio sponge and let the melafix cycle thru your system. He looks like he is being attacked by fungus to me bites wouldn't be all over

Aww poor guy!! :( I hope he gets to looking better, when my fish have fin problems I usually only add stress coat

EMD1 said:
Stop over feeding and mix feeding him. Too much food causes excess ammonia and parasites. I'd suggest a full tank treatment with melafix or pinafix. Nurse tanks are no good if the problems caused by water issues in the main tank. Remove carbon from filter a bio sponge and let the melafix cycle thru your system. He looks like he is being attacked by fungus to me bites wouldn't be all over

Ok but I don't over feed. Once a day for a out 30 seconds. Where do I get melafix? Will Petsmart have it. What water issues. I have a bit of a nitrate spike but it was taken care of. Tested today and it was 0.5

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite is 0

pH is 8.2

Where did you get I'm over feeding? NLS Once a day for no more then 30 seconds and I watch to make sure they all get a piece of the pie. I'm very good with my maintenance and always am on top of my tank. Anyone here will tell you that. Was the over feeding just an assumption? I take offense to that. I know your trying to help and I tank you very much for it but don't assume I'm over feeding. My African tank is one nasty tank! Anyone here will tell you the problems I've had. They kill anything that enters! If it didn't come in together them tough luck!

The only reason my red tailed is living is because I got him when my Africans were less then a inch big. I got them all at the size during the course of 2 weeks. And the rearrange the tank once they all were in. But thank you. I will treat the tank with that and I don't have carbon at the moment. I just removed it last night. I only run carbon a few days or a week in my AC 110 and never in my fx5. So you think he won't make it then? :(

Mumma.of.two said:
IMO skip the melafix and go straight to antibiotics. He's very beaten up. He may suffer from an infection and die.

Oh no!!

JesseMessykinn said:
Sorry about you little bugger :(

Thank you.

Anyone have any other ideas? I don't think treating the whole tank is necessary he looks beat up, lost the fight. Not sure treating the tank with a whole bunch of meds is the best route. I'm open to other suggestions.

If you ask me, I would treat him separately and see if he gets better, and then address any water issues in the main tank.

paytertot said:
If you ask me, I would treat him separately and see if he gets better, and then address any water issues in the main tank.

Thanks!

Just tested main tank e drugging is fine right now.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5.0

pH 8.2

Would raising the temp help at all? Not sure what to at this point. 3:40am. I have a air stone and heater in the tank. And he's not swimming upside down anymore.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks!

Just tested main tank e drugging is fine right now.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5.0

pH 8.2

Would raising the temp help at all? Not sure what to at this point. 3:40am. I have a air stone and heater in the tank. And he's not swimming upside down anymore.

What is the temp in there now? Higher temps will usually help kill some bacteria or parasites or whatever

Higher temps actually accelerate bacteria, but yeah, I wouldn't worry about the temp too much.

When my cichlids have been beaten up I dip them or literally dab methylene blue on the wound, it seems to help keep the fungus at bay. Other than that I don't do anything.

Slowly lowering it. Man 4am and I'm up taking care of a fish. Wow!! Never thought in a million years!!

jetajockey said:
Higher temps actually accelerate bacteria, but yeah, I wouldn't worry about the temp too much.

When my cichlids have been beaten up I dip them or literally dab methylene blue on the wound, it seems to help keep the fungus at bay. Other than that I don't do anything.

^^^ here you go! Someone that knows!

Back
Top Bottom