What's your favorite shell dweller??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfriend

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I'v gotten the ok to start a tank at work. I'm going to keep it small 20g and under. So I'v decided to do a shell dweller. I'v been do research and know not to mix species. I'v been looking at the different dweller and can't decide on one. So I'm throwing it out to you guys for help.

What's your favorite?? And how many would you start with?? I was thinking 3 female one males

What a fun idea for a work aquarium! Are shell dwellers very fussy in terms of their requirements?
I was thinking of a tank in the reception area of my work as well, but want something a bit hardy... maybe I'll just go for some dither fish and plants :)

:fish2:Susan:fish2:

Yeah, I'm having plants in the ram build. Plus the water at work is hard and the high PH isn't really hard to achieve. It being a smaller tank with no plants is going to be just right for work. The shellies are going to be perfect and will keep every one attention as they will all be looking to see whats new.

I work right on a Stretch of ICW (inlet coastal waterway) In Virginia that is brackish. Coworker thought about doing a local caught spices build. After doing some research, the tank size needed was going to be like 125 to 150 which was just more than we really need to deal with. not to mention that getting that size tank and not putting it in my house would be very very difficult!.

Im in the process of ordering neolamprolgus Multifactitus (i think i spelt it wrong, oops) and i love them! But also Brevis and sunspot brevis are awesome!
Its what really floats your boat! just get what you like and im sure they'll thrive in the high ph and hard water

Im in the process of ordering neolamprolgus Multifactitus (i think i spelt it wrong, oops) and i love them! But also Brevis and sunspot brevis are awesome!
Its what really floats your boat! just get what you like and im sure they'll thrive in the high ph and hard water

Hey! I was just reading your thread! I went to my have everything LFS. Animal jungle in Virginia Beach, Va. and asked if they had any shell dwellers. The guy was like "ummm....ummmm...maybe". I finally found them(no help from fish dude).
and no multi's. They did have a few others HECQUI, BREVIS and some OCELLATUS I think. I'm really getting mixed reviews of everything except multi's. Is this because they are the most popular or the easiest to care for? I understand the aggression aspect between species. I'v had large African tanks in the past. Just never shell dweller.

image-2908606861.jpg

This is a gold ossalotus tank. I love them

Attachments

• image-3334459281.jpg
    image-3334459281.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 105
Its a six gallon edge, and there are five tanganyikan gold ocallatis cichlids.

Yea that is max they need space, I would keep only 5 in anything 10 gallons or smaller
They like lots of shells, they will burry some of them so that only the hole is scene. A few rocks is also wise, because that will help block them from seeing each other so much. Plus it looks cool

Cool thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with 5 in a 20 so there is room to grow. One male 4 females or two males and four fems? I think I'm going to go with lamp's also

Back
Top Bottom