When can I add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

Just wondering how many days it should take before I would see an increase in ammonia from my new fish- so that I know when I can add a few more. I added my first fish- two platies and two panda cories- two days ago. I know I have to wait longer, but I can't seem to find exactly how long.

I apologize I forget how big your tank is. I would wait a couple more days then test the water and add more fish.

I generally wait about a week or so between additions. It also depends on how many you are adding and what you are adding. For example, I wouldn't add 6 Tetras to a 29 gal tank and 2 days later add 4 Rams.

Oops- should have mentioned its 20G. I am thinking of adding a couple of ottos as my next addition, and then next two mollies or 4 rummy-nosed tetras after that.

I always wait 2 weeks between additions. The most I ever added at once was 10" (9 black neons) and that was in a 30g.

You'll never regret doing things slow in this hobby.

I also just added 3 rummynose tetras, and am very happy with them.

Great- thanks! So far there has been no increase in Amonnia or Nitrites but I wasn't sure how long that would take. If I can wait out the !#$%^& fishless cycle then I can wait a week or two in between additions I guess. sigh. ;)

mostly I was worried that I would wait 5-6 days with no ammonia increase, get more fish, only to find that my amonnia spikes because it takes longer than 5-6 days to show up.

Elle - you got Panda Cories !!! Oh you're gonna LOVE them :)
Watching those little characters will help pass the time and 10 days will go FAST with them !

yes they are great! I saw your suggestion to get at least 3 too late unfortunately, but they do seem happy and go everywhere together. It was lucky that I got two actually... I asked for one and they scooped one out, and then I kept looking at more fish... then I looked at the pandas again and they looked to be schooloing so I asked the staff is they were schoolers and they said yes.... sort of annoying since they knew I didn't have any fish... but I got him/her a friend and all seems well.... except for my poor oto who seems to be 'on his last fin' so to speak. I feel like I should do something but don't know what.

Elle-
a few inches of fish each week will likely do fine. As stated above, you can't go too slow, but weekly additions of an inch or two of fish should be OK. Congrats on the fishless cycle completion. Now that your bacteria have achieved critical mass, they are rather good at increasing metabolic activity and growth to keep up with additions. Add schooling fish last, since you will probably want to get them all at once, and by being last they will be added when your biofilter is at its stongest.

Back
Top Bottom