When can I get a brittle star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamtron2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to get a brittle star to add to my tank sometime this week but I want to make sure it's not too early. The tank is just over a month old and the diatoms are just starting to leave.
PH 8.3 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as the tank is cycled, it should be fine. Just make sure to properly drip acclimate him to the new tank when you get it.

Thank you. Another question: can I add an anemone at this time too?

If you have the lighting to support one that is the first step. It is normally recommended to wait 6-12 months for the system to fully stabilize and mature before trying an anemone.

Okay. I'll wait on an anemone! Thank you!

A brittle star was actually the first thing I put in my 55 right after it cycled. It's still here and doing fine. Mine hid for the first couple of weeks and I had to put the shrimp next to one of its arms to make it feed. Now I just drop food in and it scours the tank for every last morsel (knocking over some of my clumsy blue knuckled hermits too)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are sure the cycle is finished, or the tank is already cycled, you can add it early.

I don't consider thoses smalls critters counting in the bioload -_-

Back
Top Bottom