When do i change filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is what the package says that the filter came in:

"pressurized tank-top filtration system, complete 3 stages filtration with sponge, active carbon and bio-balls inclusive"

Does this mean i have to change the filter media because its active carbon?

My tank has been set up for about 8 months and ive never changed the media, the most ive done was give it a little rinse (in old tank water) to get the gunk out.

What do you guys think i should do?

If it was me, I wouldn't touch the bio media balls. They shouldnt need a lot of maintenance. Thats what your sponge is for. To trap all the muck before it gets to the bio media

I'd also remove the carbon. After 8 months I doubt it's been doing anything for at least the last half of that time. I'd replace it with more bio media.

The sponge I'd just take out and gently squeeze and swish all the muck out in a bucket of your tank water.

After the added bio media takes hold youll have a really robust filter and all youll need to do is clean the sponge of all the muck regularly.

If it was me, I wouldn't touch the bio media balls. They shouldnt need a lot of maintenance. Thats what your sponge is for. To trap all the muck before it gets to the bio media

I'd also remove the carbon. After 8 months I doubt it's been doing anything for at least the last half of that time. I'd replace it with more bio media.

The sponge I'd just take out and gently squeeze and swish all the muck out in a bucket of your tank water.

After the added bio media takes hold youll have a really robust filter and all youll need to do is clean the sponge of all the muck regularly.

What is bio media?

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is bio media?

We refer to the materials we place in our filters as media. Bio media is the group of materials which we use in our filters who's primary function is to grow lots of bacteria to increase the biological filtration. Biological filtration is the process by bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrate as part of the nitrogen cycle (as you may already know)

Bio media such as lava rock or ceramic rings etc contain hundreds of cubic feet of surface area under a microscope for bacteria to grow which makes it very useful.

The sponges and flosses we place in our filters are known as mechanical filtration as their primary function is to collect particles and suspended solids and remove them from the water column. The good news it that mechanical filtration also is a good place for bacteria to grow as this also contains lots of surface area. The problem is if we don't clean it (never use tap water or you will destroy the bacteria) the pores become clogged and the efficiency of the bacteria and the amount of waste the sponge can collect is reduced. That's one of the reasons we keep mechanical filtration clean.

Bio media need not be cleaned as it doesn't collect much waste and the bacteria can go on undisturbed.

There is also chemical filtration like carbon and zeolite filters that use chemicals to absorb things we don't want in our water. These chemicals have a life span and need to be replaced. When we replace our chemical filtration pads we are also throwing away some of our bacteria. So best to keep that In mind.

You only change mechanical filtration when the sponge or floss is falling apart.

Hope this helps.

Caliban covered it so perfectly it should be one of the stickies here !! As for the chemical media (carbon, zeolite, etc) I never use it myself. More room for bio. Also, most of those are only good for about 30 days. The only cost effective alternative to those is Purigen, IMO. It is comparable to carbon but the caveat to it is that it's rechargeable. Meaning you can take it out and clean it with bleach and it will work again. It won't be as effective every time but will still work. Depending on your tank size, you could buy a ____ size package and small mesh bags and make _____ many bags so you always have one on hand. So as an example, if you bought a $20 container of Purigen, made 5 separate pouches, it could last you over a year whereas a $20 package of carbon could last maybe 3-5 months. Definitely worth a look.

Too kind treeman.

I'm looking for a really useful website for this topic. Think it's bookmarked in my old iPhone. It's charging up now so hopefully be posted shortly.

So I should change the carbon with purigen?

We refer to the materials we place in our filters as media. Bio media is the group of materials which we use in our filters who's primary function is to grow lots of bacteria to increase the biological filtration. Biological filtration is the process by bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrate as part of the nitrogen cycle (as you may already know)

Bio media such as lava rock or ceramic rings etc contain hundreds of cubic feet of surface area under a microscope for bacteria to grow which makes it very useful.

The sponges and flosses we place in our filters are known as mechanical filtration as their primary function is to collect particles and suspended solids and remove them from the water column. The good news it that mechanical filtration also is a good place for bacteria to grow as this also contains lots of surface area. The problem is if we don't clean it (never use tap water or you will destroy the bacteria) the pores become clogged and the efficiency of the bacteria and the amount of waste the sponge can collect is reduced. That's one of the reasons we keep mechanical filtration clean.

Bio media need not be cleaned as it doesn't collect much waste and the bacteria can go on undisturbed.

There is also chemical filtration like carbon and zeolite filters that use chemicals to absorb things we don't want in our water. These chemicals have a life span and need to be replaced. When we replace our chemical filtration pads we are also throwing away some of our bacteria. So best to keep that In mind.

You only change mechanical filtration when the sponge or floss is falling apart.

Hope this helps.

Is there anything I can replace the carbon with that I don't need to change every week?

Is there anything I can replace the carbon with that I don't need to change every week?

Depending on the size of the tank, WC schedule, and stocking, carbon should last at least 30 days. But like I said before, I don't use it at all. I do more frequent, large volume water changes and my water is pristine. I would only use it if I needed to put a fish in a hospital tank and treat with meds. After treatment and final WC, add carbon to help remove any meds. Another WC and replace the carbon.

If your water is clear and clean then replace the carbon with more bio ball media like you already have in your filter. This will increase the robustness of your filter against ammonia spikes and the like.

The carbon you have lost its active properties many months ago, so its doing nothing to keep your water clean. When you throw it out you also throw out any bb thats also grown on it. This will happen every time its replaced. It makes sense to replace it with more bio balls which you wont need to replace. Just gently clean the sponge of muck periodically.

Depending on the size of the tank, WC schedule, and stocking, carbon should last at least 30 days. But like I said before, I don't use it at all. I do more frequent, large volume water changes and my water is pristine. I would only use it if I needed to put a fish in a hospital tank and treat with meds. After treatment and final WC, add carbon to help remove any meds. Another WC and replace the carbon.

I do a 25% WC once a week. My tank is 18 gallons/70 liters. I have 1 beta, 6 neons, 2 small bn plecos and 4 sterbas corydoras. Should I just start doing bigger, more frequent water changes?
My filter now consists of bio balls at the start, then the sponge with carbon in it and then ceramic rings at the end.

IMO/E, the more water and more frequently you change it, the cleaner it will be. I have much different fish and larger tanks so my schedule is way different than anyone else. I do 50% every other day and 100% weekly on the 55g. I do 50% every 2-3 days on the smaller tanks. If I skip a day on my 55, I can see it in the fish. I would recommend to do at least 50% a week as a general rule to anybody.

+1. Do this.

I do a 25% WC once a week. My tank is 18 gallons/70 liters. I have 1 beta, 6 neons, 2 small bn plecos and 4 sterbas corydoras. Should I just start doing bigger, more frequent water changes?
My filter now consists of bio balls at the start, then the sponge with carbon in it and then ceramic rings at the end.

Sponge should go first. You want the fish poo and waste laden water to hit the sponge first so the particles are trapped. Then the polished water goes through the bio balls second and ceramic rings third. Neither of which wont need much cleaning and wont need changing as the sponge continually traps the muck.

thats me trying to explain my filter

Attachments

• Filter_boxes.jpg
    Filter_boxes.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom