When to add Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithlp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I am moving several fish from an established 55g tank to my new 55 g tank tomorrow. I will be installing the filter and some of the gravel from the other tank also I have purchased Bio Spira to add to the tank. I am not sure if I should add the Bio today or tomorrow at the same time I add the fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)
Thanks in advance for your help!:n00b:

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

The Bio-Spira should be added to the tank at the same time as your fish. You don't want to add the Bio-Spira before you add the fish since it is live bacteria and like any living thing, it needs a food source. The food source will be the ammonia put off by the fish. If you add the Bio-Spira before the fish, it won't have a food source and a large portion of it will die off and be wasted. Add it at the same time as you add the fish and you'll be fine. It is a good idea, like you're doing, to use your filter and some of the gravel from your old tank. These items also will hold some beneficial bacteria and it will let your new tank get off to a good start. To be on the safe side, though, do a few ammonia and nitrite tests to make sure the tank is cycling ok. With the Bio-Spira and the established filter media, you probably won't see a cycle from the test kits - the ammonia and nitrite readings will most likely be 0.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I will do what you suggest and I will test for nitrites and ammonia on an ongoing basis.

Yes make sure that the tank has ammonia in it, So that the bacteria will have something to eat and stay a live.

Crank up the air stones too, biospira takes hold better if it gets plenty of oxygen. Although leaving off any glass lids and getting a good surface ripple going will probably help even more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom