which tunze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonnie3188

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

Setting up a 5x2x2 mixed reef, just wanted to get some opinions on some tunze pumps. don't necessarily need the controllable ones, so would you recommend 2 tunze 6080's, or would 2 tunze 6060's be enough.

Also, does having them in the Tunze rocks make the pump louder?

Thanks

Since you aren't looking to control your ph instead of dropping $160+ on the Tunze pumps I'd look at the Seio pump also or look at modifiying a Maxi-Jet 1200 to give you 2000+ GPH which would run around $40-50 for pump and kit. (video of mod here)

If you're dead set on the Tunze pump then personally I wouldn't even consider spending that much money and not at least have the option of being able to control them. The Tunze turbelle 6000 is the lowest model that is controllable.

I can't imagine why putting the pump in a rock would make it louder but I'd rather spend the $75 on real base or lr versus the fake rock.

Thanks for the reply

I am pretty set on getting Tunze pumps as i like the wide flow, and i like it that they can be concealed in the tunze rocks. i constantly fight a battle with snails on my pumps leading to very loud vibrations.

So basically i'm after a pump that is going to be reliable and last me for many years. money isn't reallu an issue and i have plenty of live rock already, so the tunze rock is purely cosmetic. And i'm faced with a limited range here in australia.

So yeah, for a 5x2x2 LPS and SPS reef, 2 x tunze 6060's or 2 x 6080's??

Thanks

I would get the 6060's. They are the most efficient (gph produced/watt used) of the Tunze's. Plus, I use one 6060 on my 2' x 2' x 4' reef and it is plenty powerful.

I agree 2 6060 pumps would be more then enough. How large is the sump and what pump (GPH) were you planing on using?

Thanks again everyone

The sump is going to be a 4x18x18, undecided about a return pump yet, i'll see what the tank builder suggests. any suggestions on a gpl for the return?

Yeah i think i'll go with a pair of the 6060's though

I'd aim for 800-1200 GPH in the sump. A little more if you have drilled overflows which are easier to control noise. What are your overflows rated at?

The overflow is going to be drilled, but not sure what the flow will be rated at. i'll have to find out from the tank builder this week. But thanks again Tecwzrd for helping me with the tunze decision.

I'm sure i'll be asking many more questions in the coming weeks

Back
Top Bottom