White algae/fungus on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look like readings from an uncycled tank to me. Or a bad test kit. I believe the last 4 numbers of the lot number on the bottles is the month and year of manufacture. Some tests are good for 3 years other tests for 5. Was the bottle 2 of the Nitrate test shook for 30 seconds before adding 10 drops then the mix shook for 1 minute after adding, then sat for 5 minutes?

All the bottles end in 08. I did all the shaking and timing according to the instructions. Should I worry if the fish look good? None have just died. Is it possible for a tank to be this old and be "uncycled"?

You nailed it.. following is my reply from the manufacturer...

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

Barbara in response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0108. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2008. Wide Range pH, High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH (low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not use or trust these kits after they have expired. The only level that should not be 0 ppm is your nitrate reading. Liquid Nitrate Test Kits from any manufacturer can have a common problem with their last test solution. For some companies, it is bottle number 3, but for us it is bottle number 2. One of the ingredients wants to solidify out of liquid solution. If the test bottle sits for any period of time, this can happen. If this does happen and the test is performed without Bottle # 2 mixed properly, then you can get a falsely low reading. I have never heard of falsely high readings with Nitrate Kits. I would try tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or counter top. This should loosen-up anything that has solidified. Then I would shake this bottle for about 2-3 minutes, to really mix it up. Try the test again and hopefully this will fix you problem. With regular weekly usage, this bottle should only need to be shaken for 30-60 seconds.

If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.

Best Regards,

Nathan Fekula
Technical Service and Research
Mars Fishcare

50 EAST HAMILTON ST
PO BOX 218
CHALFONT, PA 18914-0218

E+nfekula@AQUARIUMPHARM.COM

Welcome to Mars Fishcare - Mars Fishcare

I did the banging and shaking am now at about 7 ppm for my nitrates. Is that ok? Also my water is clear but has a white haze. I changed out the carbon last night but is does not seem to have had an effect. Suggestions?

7ppm is great for a freshwater tank.... anything above 40 is considered toxic.. and anything around the 20 area is considered primo.. glad your test kit was fixed.. it really helps to know what all is going on lol

And i knew that 0ppm nitrates in a 5 month old tank was a little "fishy" xD.. wow im bad at the puns >.>

Any suggestions on my hazy water. The water looks clear but I can almost see very small particles. I put in new carbon and it has made no difference. It is most noticeable with the light on.

Back
Top Bottom